How to Move a Reef Tank Successfully to another State

basabbc

Hi,

I have a RSM 250 + 15Gallon Sump which has matured over a year now. unfortunately, i have to move to another state 600 miles away and right now am little concerned on how to manage the move with the tank. Want to ensure that all the corals and fish that i have do not perish during the transfer. Are there any suggestions or checklist that i need to follow to ensure a smooth movement of the tank inhabitants and to ensure a successful setup once again at the destination.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Mr. Saltwater Tank has an excellent guide with checklists for moving a tank across long distance or across the room. All his guides are great but if you're looking for a checklist, check out his site.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I see this question ask from time to time on RS, maybe we can compile some good wisdom in this thread (if even cut & paste from other sites with credit given, then make a Sticky we can all find & use again).

So jump in with good advise... on How to Move a Reef Tank Successfully to another State

ziggy

How deep is the sand bed? and if deeper then 1" are you able to not diturb it too much?

DaveK

The very best way to do this is to get a new tank, and so on, and set it up in the new location. Get it established, and then move your livestock. This is often not possible.

Another possible solution is sell, or give away all your livestock including live rock, and move an empty dry tank, and start over. This makes moving the tank a non-issue on moving day.

If neither of those options work, and you are going to move the system, do it as a single project outside the scope of moving everything else. For moving the tank this is what you do -

Prepare the new site. Get all the power strips and so on set up, also any hangers you need for lighting and so on. Also get a large Brute trash can, and mix up a batch of new SW. You'll also need a heater and big powerhead for this. Prewash any sand you will need.

On moving day you first pack up the system. Capture all the live stock that moves and bag that up, then all the live rock and corals and so on. Drain the tank and sump and save as much of the water as possible. It helps to have some of those 5 gal jugs for this. Save a few handfuls of sand but discard the rest of sandbed. Pack up the equipment.

Install the new system. Place and level the tank and set up the filtration system and heating. You can do lighting later. Add the new sand, and fill the tank about 1/4 full using old water as much as possible. Then add your live rock, and fill the tank, using the old water as much as possible. Get the filtration system and heater running. Acclimate the fish and corals to their new home. Set up all the rest of miscellaneous gear. Your all done.

No matter how you do it, it's a massive job to move a tank, even if you have some help. Worry about the critical stuff first, like filtration and heat. The other stuff like lighting, controllers and on can wait.

Have fun!

basabbc

The very best way to do this is to get a new tank, and so on, and set it up in the new location. Get it established, and then move your livestock. This is often not possible.

Another possible solution is sell, or give away all your livestock including live rock, and move an empty dry tank, and start over. This makes moving the tank a non-issue on moving day.

If neither of those options work, and you are going to move the system, do it as a single project outside the scope of moving everything else. For moving the tank this is what you do -

Prepare the new site. Get all the power strips and so on set up, also any hangers you need for lighting and so on. Also get a large Brute trash can, and mix up a batch of new SW. You'll also need a heater and big powerhead for this. Prewash any sand you will need.

On moving day you first pack up the system. Capture all the live stock that moves and bag that up, then all the live rock and corals and so on. Drain the tank and sump and save as much of the water as possible. It helps to have some of those 5 gal jugs for this. Save a few handfuls of sand but discard the rest of sandbed. Pack up the equipment.

Install the new system. Place and level the tank and set up the filtration system and heating. You can do lighting later. Add the new sand, and fill the tank about 1/4 full using old water as much as possible. Then add your live rock, and fill the tank, using the old water as much as possible. Get the filtration system and heater running. Acclimate the fish and corals to their new home. Set up all the rest of miscellaneous gear. Your all done.

No matter how you do it, it's a massive job to move a tank, even if you have some help. Worry about the critical stuff first, like filtration and heat. The other stuff like lighting, controllers and on can wait.

Have fun!

Thanks for the options dave. The third option is the one that is currently fitting my need. one quick question though. Since it would take me between 24 - 48 hours to pack everything and set it up again at the new location, i am assuming there certainly will be some dead matter on the live rocks that will happen, in which case should i be expecting the complete nitro cycle to kick back in again, assuming i utilize atleast 80% of water from the old system.

orieng

Since you will need at at,east 24 hours to shift to the new location you will definitely have die offs and can definitely expect a cycle too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reefle

just a thought. Maybe at your new location find a good LFS to take in your livestock for a bit while your new tank cycles again.

DaveK

Thanks for the options dave. The third option is the one that is currently fitting my need. one quick question though. Since it would take me between 24 - 48 hours to pack everything and set it up again at the new location, i am assuming there certainly will be some dead matter on the live rocks that will happen, in which case should i be expecting the complete nitro cycle to kick back in again, assuming i utilize atleast 80% of water from the old system.

I think you would have a major cycle going on here. Yes, you will have some die off, especially anything like sponges on the rock. You'll need to carefully check your water parameters, especially ammonia and nitrite. I highly recommend that you start mixing up a new batch of SW for water changes, as soon as your move is complete.

I doubt that you'll find a LFS to tkae your livestock while you get your tank going. There is just too much risk for them. What if some of your livestock dies in their care? Or worse, what if your livestock introduces some disease to their store? If I were in business, the answer to livestock boarding would always be no.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a post I found that may have some help in it too... it was written by RS member Marc (aka Melev) Levenson

http://www.melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html

Moving a Tank Successfully - by Marc Levenson

When it comes to moving a tank, whether that be across the room or across town, success can be assured by your preparations and anticipation for any problems that may occur during the transition. Special consideration should be given to the new location, to make sure all is ready. Electrical needs should already be met, and the floor should be stable and sturdy. Obstacles should be removed at all costs to avoid tripping over anything while carrying the tank, the stand or anything else related to the move.

Whenever I'm about to move a tank, the first thing I do is start making more water. Even if you save every drop, you'll need more water at the new location for sure. If your schedule allows for it, prepare a trashcan or two full of mixed saltwater and have it ready to use. New trashcans run about $7 each at Home Depot, and they make great mixing containers and are equally useful for the moving process itself. Using RO/DI water, salt, a powerhead and a heater, you can have about 30g of water on hand, or more if you set up more than one trashcan full of saltwater. The water should be mixed and waiting at the destination if at all possible.

If you happen to be moving from one house to another, odds are you'll have lots of moving boxes and furniture to deal with. This needs to either be done before or after the tank is moved. When it is time to move your livestock, everything else must be put on hold, or let someone else focus on the rest of the move so you can put all of your attention into getting the tank torn down and re-setup in the new location. Make sure nothing in is in your path that will make it difficult to move the tank, so that it can be done safely.

If your tank has a DSB (4" of sand) and it is over 6 months old, you shouldn't disturb it. Moving a tank full of sand is of course much heavier and there is the risk of flexing and damaging the tank. Sliding a board under the tank to support it fully would be one way of moving it, and you better have enough people to carry that load. Another option is to save a few cups from the upper layer in a ziplock bag, and toss the rest out. If you choose this route, then you have the option to really clean the tank well before setting it back up at the new location. It is always easiest to clean a tank outside with a garden hose, laying it on its side and spraying it out thoroughly. Each side can soak in a half inch of water, then be scraped clean and rinsed. Rotate the tank until all the walls are clean.

What about the livestock itself? You can bag up corals individually just like the LFS does when you purchased them originally. These can be placed carefully within ice chests (summer or winter) or empty salt buckets (spring and fall) to prevent their shifting and being damaged. Adequate water should be added to each bag, and the bags should be sealed to create a good bubble of protective space around the corals. You don't want to arrive at your destination with rubble, right? Working with a helper will speed things along. Using the $7 trashcans, you can pull out all the live rock and place it in these. As soon as you have the corals and rock out of your tank, drain some tank water into the trashcan(s) to keep the rock fully submerged. Wearing gloves while removing rock protects against cuts or brushes with bristleworms. Any rock that has corals attached can be stacked on top of other rock in the trashcan to avoid their being damaged. Add water until they are fully sumberged. The tank will be cloudy, but now all the fish can be netted out. These can be bagged individually or placed in one or more saltbuckets with tank water.

With the livestock in coolers, buckets and trashcans, it is time to move now! What is the weather like? Are you traveling with everything in the back of a pickup truck or U-haul trailer? Do what you have to to maintain reasonable temperatures for the fish and corals. Perhaps they would fit in with you in the passenger compartment. The live rock (LR) and water you've brought along will be okay if the travel time isn't too lengthy. If the drive is short, you might decide to move all livestock first, and come back for the tank on the next trip. When moving LR, trashcans should only be filled about 1/3 to 1/2 full of rock and water, as two people are able to move that without it being too heavy. At the destination, your livestock will need life support: airstones, heaters, & powerheads. If you opted to move the tank and livestock in one trip, the livestock gets precedence and once they are safely hooked up with some equipment witin the climate controlled home, you can proceed with moving in the stand, tank and canopy.

Setting up the tank anew is similar to setting up a new tank. Sand first, covered by a plastic trashbag, then a large serving platter, then a bowl. Using a large submersible pump and some tubing, pump the water into the bowl which will overflow onto the platter and finally the plastic barrier. This keeps the sand from blowing around. Once the tank is half filled, you can gently remove the bowl, platter and plastic, and start placing the LR in the tank again. Wearing gloves, shake the rock well in the trashcan it arrived in to release any trapped detritus, then place it in your tank. Getting the rock in the tank is important, avoiding any long durations exposing it to air. If it has corals on it, just put them to the side and then retrieve more rock to start your stack. Try to stack it so that it looks random, yet solid. Nature hates a straight line, so avoid creating a 'brick wall' look. Try to create caves, crevices and areas for water (and fish!) to flow through. The rock should not topple easily, as that could scratch the glass or acrylic viewing panels. Wave your hand strongly near the rock to see if it teeters. Leave enough room between the rock and the walls of the tank so that a cleaning magnet will fit without hitting.

Once all the rock has been placed in the tank, you can add in the fish, corals and more saltwater. This is why it is important to have new saltwater made up in advance at the right temperature, as the water the rock travelled in is now muddy from the shaking / rinsing and is full of waste. Next, Add powerheads, the heaters, filters, and turn everything on. The lights can be turned on a little later after you've had a little time to relax.

If you set up the aquarium with new sand, once everything has been put in, you can add the live sand you bagged up earlier. Just pour a cup of sand in a few different spots before the powerheads are turned on. Lower the cup or bag of sand down to the substrate and pour it out gently. It is okay for this sand to form little mounds, and there is no reason to stir it in nor the need to level it out. You want the micro-fauna to be able to scurry deeply into the grains of sand, and once you turn on the powerheads a few minutes later, the sand will begin to level out naturally.

Be sure to test the water daily, watching for ammonia, nitrate, or phosphate spikes. There are products that you can use to reduce these if necessary. Matter of fact, keep a bottle of Seachem's Prime on hand as it is great in an emergency to lower toxicity in the tank. Phosphate sponges can remove these as well.

Things to have on hand:

Plenty of towels
Pumps and long tubing to pump water out or back into the tank
Extension cords
Thermometer to make sure the livestock's water is staying stable around 78° to 82° F
Hydrometer/Refractometer to check salinity
Nets & gloves
Dollies & furniture sliders
Shims to level the tank
Bags, Buckets, trashcans, rubbermaid containers to transfer livestock and equipment
Test kits, Prime
Helpers!!! Have a few; they can fetch, carry, help as needed - feed as necessary.
If you follow these guidelines, moving a tank can be done successfully and with careful attention, all the livestock should survive the trip and continue to thrive in their new location.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
from Reef Magazine - Moving A Saltwater Aquarium

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/67664-moving-saltwater-aquarium.html

In June of this year, I helped a friend move his many saltwater fish tanks. It took over twenty hours to move both his stuff and his fish from Manhattan to his new house in New Jersey. That was the moving experience I was reflecting upon when I made the necessary preparations to move my own tank. There were a couple of things working in my favor: first, I was only moving a few blocks away, so there would be no long travel times; second, I only had one 75g tank, instead of multiple tanks of 50 gallons or larger. I gathered as many buckets, coolers, heaters and airstones as I could find. In the end, I had more containers to hold livestock than livestock to go into the containers. When we moved my friend, we had to remove all of the sand from all of his tanks which took a lot of time and a lot of heavy lifting. Instead of doing that, I decided to enlist three friends to help me heft the tank out of my apartment with the sand bed intact. I felt like that would have the added bonus of keeping at least some of my bacterial population intact. I actually felt pretty optimistic about this move, since I had moved my 40 gallon tank before without losing any of the fish or corals and I'd left the sand bed intact then as well.

The last full tank shot of my 75 gallon tank. The brown that is apparent over the rocks and sand bed are red planaria flatworms.

I had two other "fish people" (as my non-fish friends call me) helping me with the move. We designated one large cooler for the fish, and I put in several large pieces of live rock, a heater, a small powerhead and an airstone. This way, the water would be sure to be oxygenated and there would be the beneficial bacteria on the liverock to help filter the water while the fish were in there. There was another larger container with the rest of the coral encrusted rocks and we put a powerhead in that as well. All of the smaller pieces of coral were individually bagged and put in another cooler to stay warm. The rocks were all placed in four buckets and completely covered with water to preserve the bacteria. We drained the water out of the tank into four five gallon jugs that I had, and we made a new 20 gallon batch of saltwater at the new place earlier in the evening. We did all of this to reduce the possibility of the tank cycling after the move. The only seeming blip was the was had to cut apart my plumbing, so I wouldn’t be able to have the sump and skimmer online, but we didn’t think that was such a big deal. I had two phosban reactors with carbon to run on the tank and plenty of powerheads for circulation. I could get new bulkheads and re-plumb the tank the following day.

So, we moved the tank with the sand, which involved a lot of grunting and some very sore hands. Once the tank was at the new place, I put the rocks back in, I put the corals back in, and I put the fish back in. We kicked up a little sand, but everything looked okay. There were even some polyps out on some of the corals from the ambient light in the room. My two sand sleeping wrasses dove directly into the sand, but the other fish were swimming around checking out their "new" home and the clownfish were hosting their mushrooms. I went to bed feeling okay (and my friend made it to bed before 8:00am the next morning).

H. richmondi, one of the sand burrowing wrasses in my tank. There is a baby's breath favia in the background.

The next morning, things were not looking so good. I only saw one clownfish and my cleaner shrimp swimming around and my rabbit fish was dead at the front of the tank. The whole apartment smelled like dying flatworms. I had been fighting a losing battle with the red planaria flatworms for almost a year. Before moving the tank, I sucked as many as I could out of the tank and did multiple water changes per week. I didn’t really think much about it after that since they are mostly a nuisance. When I switched my tank from a 40 gallon to a 75 galllon, I did a massive treatment of Flatworm Exit that killed most of my SPS (the toxins that the red planaria released, not the FWE itself) and in the end, didn't end up ridding my tank of flatworms. I had been very nervous about doing another treatment following that disaster. Obviously the smell of the toxic flatworms concerned me. I did two 20 gallon water changes throughout the day. By the end of the day, both of my clowns were out, the cleaner shrimp was out, my clams were alive and two of my three wrasses had come out. Again, I went to bed feeling okay and like I was out of the woods.

This purple Murecia gorgonian was one of the survivors of this move. It still looks good and there has been no tissue loss. As a group, the octocorals weathered the move well.

The next morning, I woke up and everything was dead. The flatworm smell was worse and the clownfish were dead in the front of the tank. There was a pile of dead bristleworms in one corner of the tank. The corals looked awful. I called on another friend with a saltwater tank to do emergency salvage work on the corals. I moved all of the corals that looked like they still had some tissue left into his tank. Everything else was dead, so we emptied the tank and bleached it and all of the rock. No more flatworms.

So that’s where things stand. It looks like about one third of my coral is going to survive. All of my SPS is dead with the exception of a dime sized patch of porites on my Christmas tree worm rock. Three of the Christmas tree worms and one hermit crab survived. The LPS that is left is touch and go. I lost all of my really expensive pieces (of course), but my bubble coral seems to be okay as well as parts of a huge favia that was a showpiece in my tank. Most of my gorgonians and softies seem to be doing okay, though my large colony of green nepthea is a little worse for wear.

Top: Christmas tree worms with porites. Bottom: Orange banded Hawaiian hermit crab. These are the only two non-coral invertebrates to survive.

I am trying to think positively about this experience. While I have lost all of my livestock, it is a little freeing as I have the opportunity to set up a new tank exactly how I want it and without the problems that were plaguing me in my old system. And you can also bet I will flatworm exit every single frag I ever receive from now until I stop keeping saltwater fish.

I would like to close with a moving checklist. While it is impossible to prepare for every eventuality, it is possible to be prepared. In my case, the only thing I could have done differently was to replace the sand bed. I think the flatworms that were living in the sandbed died when the water was drained out of the tank, and toxins slowly leached out of the sand bed over the course of the two days. Even if I had continued changing twenty gallons of water every four hours or so, I am not sure I would have been able to save my tank. The best thing you can do is be prepared for anything.

Before You Move:

_____ Do several water changes.

_____ Make extra water for the tank.

_____ Assemble spare PVC parts in the event you need to replumb your tank.

_____ Gather buckets for holding livestock.

_____ Gather airstones and small powerheads

_____ Purchase bags for corals.

_____ Set aside a large pump and tubing for pumping water in and out.

During The Move:

_____ Put liverock in all of the buckets with fish.

_____ Put airstones in all of the buckets with fish.

_____ Put powerheads in all of the buckets with coral.

_____ Move quickly, but carefully.

After The Move:

_____ If possible, set up your skimmer.

_____ Put new GFO and Phosban on the tank

_____ Put a filter sock on the drain to filter any gunk you kick up.

_____ Take a deep breath and try to sleep.

DaveK

Here a post I found that may have some help in it too... it was written by RS member Marc (aka Melev) Levenson

http://www.melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html

Moving a Tank Successfully - by Marc Levenson

If your tank has a DSB (4" of sand) and it is over 6 months old, you shouldn't disturb it. Moving a tank full of sand is of course much heavier and there is the risk of flexing and damaging the tank. Sliding a board under the tank to support it fully would be one way of moving it, and you better have enough people to carry that load. ...

Generally this is a good article, but I need to disagree with trying to move a tank with a sandbed in it. No matter what you do it's going to shift, and going to change the distribution of weight. If your lucky, you and your friends will not drop and smash the tank. Even so, you will still kill a lot of life in it and disturb a lot stuff that you will not want in the water.

Far better to discard the sand and replace it, keeping only a few handfuls to reseed the tank and it's new sand bed.

DaveK

from Reef Magazine - Moving A Saltwater Aquarium

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/67664-moving-saltwater-aquarium.html

... It took over twenty hours to move both his stuff and his fish from Manhattan to his new house in New Jersey. ... and I'd left the sand bed intact then as well.

The last full tank shot of my 75 gallon tank. The brown that is apparent over the rocks and sand bed are red planaria flatworms.

.... We designated one large cooler for the fish, and I put in several large pieces of live rock, a heater, a small powerhead and an airstone. ... The only seeming blip was the was had to cut apart my plumbing, so I wouldn’t be able to have the sump and skimmer online, but we didn’t think that was such a big deal. ...
So, we moved the tank with the sand, ...

The next morning, things were not looking so good. ...my rabbit fish was dead at the front of the tank. The whole apartment smelled like dying flatworms. ...

The next morning, I woke up and everything was dead. ...

I am trying to think positively about this experience. While I have lost all of my livestock, it is a little freeing as I have the opportunity to set up a new tank exactly how I want it and without the problems that were plaguing me in my old system. ...

Regretfully this was a tragic move that resulted in almost a total loss. It is a good example of how easily things can go wrong.

The tank really wasn't too bad, but by keeping the old sandbed, the flatworm problem was made much worse. Had it been replaced, there could have still be an issue, but it would be far less likely to wipe out everything.

Putting all the fish in a cooler with live rock and so on is something else that I would consider to be a mistake. Bag up each fish individually. Many fish, especially SW fish have a lot of spines and other weapons that can easily damage other fish. Ever see a shipment of fish come in to a LFS? See how they bag each fish by itself.

I got to give the author of the original article credit though. They took the loss in stride, and set up the tank again fixing a lot of the problems that existed in the old system. No doubt the new system is doing a lot better than the old one.

basabbc

I think you would have a major cycle going on here. Yes, you will have some die off, especially anything like sponges on the rock. You'll need to carefully check your water parameters, especially ammonia and nitrite. I highly recommend that you start mixing up a new batch of SW for water changes, as soon as your move is complete.

I doubt that you'll find a LFS to tkae your livestock while you get your tank going. There is just too much risk for them. What if some of your livestock dies in their care? Or worse, what if your livestock introduces some disease to their store? If I were in business, the answer to livestock boarding would always be no.

You are right on the Dot here Dave, i did call up some local LFS at the destination and spoke to them, couple of them rejected outright... and the one that agreed to take it in, is charging me much more than all the corals are worth put together.

DaveK

Glad I could help, sorry you didn't get the answer you needed.

Just a thought. Why not post the city your moving to? Perhaps there are some RS members in "destination city" that can help you out one way or another.

basabbc

Glad I could help, sorry you didn't get the answer you needed.

Just a thought. Why not post the city your moving to? Perhaps there are some RS members in "destination city" that can help you out one way or another.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, Intentionally kept it out, Dont want to trouble fellow reefers(I know how all of us love our own private reefs and considering that there will be risk involved for both the parties, dont want to put anyone in that situation), If its a business than it is different since they will be already geared for it.

I think i have multiple posts with lot of suggestions, Let me put a checklist and procedure as to what i did, if it becomes succesfull (Am able to move and setup everything with less than 10% of waste) than i will post the steps and directions. Hopefully it will help someone .