How to make homemade MUSH!

sambrinar

:thumbup:

Now try soaking a pinch of flakes in some ro/di for a few minutes, strain, and retest. (it is supposed to be less po4 ;) )

:)

Assignment complete, I soaked it in distilled, for about 1/2 hour (got busy), strained it and put it in some tank water for about 10 minutes. po4 not soaking in fresh water 10, after soaking it in distilled .5. major difference :bouncebox crazy.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Assignment complete, I soaked it in distilled, for about 1/2 hour (got busy), strained it and put it in some tank water for about 10 minutes. po4 not soaking in fresh water 10, after soaking it in distilled .5. major difference :bouncebox crazy.

Excellent testing :thumbup: You got karma!

Now we all know the importance of soaking foods in ro/di water prior to feeding it..... now we'll have to make the time to do it. LOL~

sambrinar

Excellent testing :thumbup: You got karma!

Now we all know the importance of soaking foods in ro/di water prior to feeding it..... now we'll have to make the time to do it. LOL~

was quite shocking to see the difference. on the raw shrimp, when you make the mush, do you remove the tail or leave it on?

I am going to toss out my mush shortly (mainly because I didn't soak the flakes or freeze dried cyclopeeze first) and I am going to get fresh from the deli. I only have 2 small fish right now and I don't need much to make it. Just a O clown and a wheeler gobie.

And why isn't this thread stickied?? I think it is a great referral thread. Just wondering

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I have made it both ways (with and without) and although it is suggested to leave the tail/shell on, I do not. When I do leave it on, there are usually pieces of shell that are too big for the fish to eat.

nikkipigtails

I'm with Doni. I take the shell off but I think if someone made mush for a predator tank, they should probably leave the shell on.

sambrinar

Today I am going to make my officially first genuine homemade mush. I got catfish nuggets, shrimp and trout (I think) I only have 2 small fish. I don't have the vitamins yet, should I wait to make it until I get the vitamins?? But I have prime reef flakes and fd cyclopeeze to add too

I still have some left from the mush I make with frozen food (myasis, krill, squid) what do you think??

lcstorc

I wouldn't wait. One of the things I like about the mush is the ability to use fresh ingredients. I have however added frozen prepared foods that I had in the freezer. As far as the vitamins you could add them when you thaw the food. JMO

sambrinar

I wouldn't wait. One of the things I like about the mush is the ability to use fresh ingredients. I have however added frozen prepared foods that I had in the freezer. As far as the vitamins you could add them when you thaw the food. JMO

Great, time to stink up the house :apint: thanks Lynn Do you thaw yours first, I was just dropping it in. should I thaw it first??? they seem to eat it better frozen and it doesn't get as dispersed around the tank. But if it is bad for them, I will thaw it what do you think?

lcstorc

I have no idea if it is bad. Since I am feeding 3 tanks, I thaw the food in RO water and then hand feed each tank. I love to watch them chase the food anyway.

sambrinar

Okey dokey, they don't seem to be bothered by it. I ordered the vitamins. so I'll add it to the next batch. thanks for responding

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Brenda, I sometimes feed a large frozen piece of mush and hold it in place with a small folded piece of gutter guard and a vegi clip.

FeedingClip008.jpg

Adam Black

I had to make more fish/coral/anemone food today and decided to take pics along the way for others to see how it can be done.

INGREDIENTS I used:

* 1/2 lb Shrimp $2.69
* 1 salmon steak $2.80
* 4 large scallops $2.86
* 1 med piece sahimi tuna $2.09
* 1/2 cup Omega One Super Veggie flake food
* 2 sheets of nori
* 15 'cubes' of Rotifers (frozen)
* 1" of Cyclopeeze (frozen)
* Selcon
* Vita-Chem

I got to page six and got tired, so now I'm going to ask questions! I read some great recipes. What I would like to know is this going to be good for Sps corals as well? I don't feed my corals anything right now but fish poop. What concoction will be good for fish and Sps coral/clams? what do you recommend?Thanks

Adam

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Adam, the ingredients would feed corals and fish just find but the particle size would actually limit whether or not some corals could ingest it. SPS would require the smallest mix while LPS could manage eating much larger pieces.
You could sieve some thawed pieces and spot feed the SPS with the finer textured (puree) part then feed the fish and LPS with the larger pieces.
I never fed my crocea clam but if you did want to feed yours, they only eat microalgae/phytoplankton from the water (DT's phyto, homegrown phyto, etc.)

lcstorc

Sounds like a pretty good mix as long as the majority was soaked in RO/DI water. Obviously you can't do that with the rotifers and cyclopeze but even the flakes can be soaked and strained.
Personally I would add some mysis but that is just me and I would certainly not say it was necessary. It is just something that all of my fish eat.
The clam really just needs light to live and thrive no food is necessary. They live off of the by-products of the zoanthella in their mantle whick live off of the light.
I've neve kept SPS so I am no real help on that one. Fish and LPS should love it.