How to make homemade MUSH!

urville

no not yet, I'm having a devil of a time finding fresh seafood that i can verify hasnt been treated or preserved. People at these counters seem paticularly clueless.

Trudging on! I will let you know when I know something.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Unless you're going straight to the boat docks, my guess is it has all been treated with some type of perservative.
I've been using grocery store 'fresh' seafood products for years with no issues. I do of course presoak every item in ro/di water for about 10-20 min before blending.

hello every body so we are new to this and have a blast learning every thing we can so i have been looking a foods at the lfs and notices that there is a lot of filler in the food that i think would not help fish or your tank fillers= waste. i have never seen wheat grow under water in the ocean? so i read some of your guys post and we to the seafood store in mosslanding and got some stuff to make a mush.
clam
oyster
ahi tuna
shrimp
made sure that all came from the ocean only made 6oz for starters
IMG_0030.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

what vitamins should i have on hand and should i mix diff one in one day and others the next?
what are good websites for buying this stuff
thanks kelly and bryan

lcstorc

Sounds like what we do. Personally I add Selocn to my mush but IMO the fresh seafood is the real key. You are right about the fillers and that is one reason my fish get primarily my mush. I guess I am lucky here since I do go to the docks and a little seafood store right there. They already know me and are used to my strange requests.
A lot of our sponsors sell a variety of vitamins and addatives that are wonderful.

lcstorc

Brought some home from MACNA last year. Fish liked it but I don't have anywhere local to buy it and shipping just isn't realistic. If I could find it locally it would be one of the many foods in my freezer. I would still feed primarily my mush but it does seem like a great option for variety. Maybe he will be at this year's MACNA. Rod himself was there last year.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would think he will be there. One of the LFS here is now carrying (Per my request) and honestly I don't think I'll be changing anything at all. After sitting down with the LFS owner (he talked with Rod for hours) I just can't possibly make the stuff he makes for the money. S/H is a BIG hurdle but since LFS is now stocking it I'm good to go.

My tank is THRIVING and I have to give some credit to the new food. My recent algae bloom has gone see here pics of before
IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

My corals are growing very well and the tank as a whole just seems more "happy and at peace" over the last 2 months. the good news is I take "Rod's Food" and thaw it out and then pour this into ice trays diluted with water and then just every other nice drop a cube into the tank. It couldn't be more easy and I don't have the "Aroma" of preparing the fresh mush.

Just to be fair.. I have to mention that I've done some other things that probably contributed to the clean up... New Bulbs, changed orientation of power heads, and I'm sure some other things too...

lcstorc

I agree that the food is good and I certainly wouldn't miss the smell of mush making. I'll have to get info from him to bring back to my lfs. I've been trying to get him to stock true mysid shrimp as well but he only stocks PE.

lcstorc

Almost time to make new mush. Maybe Friday when I am home and Frank is at work. I can stink up the house without sending him to his mother's.

sambrinar

So did either of you test flakes yet?

Ok Doni, WOW that was impressive, I tested my prime reef flakes!!!!

Tank water phosphate 0, flake water (granted, lots of flakes, about a pinch in about 4 oz of tank water) phos went to 10 with API kit.

I didn't test the freeze dried cyplopeeze, now I am scared. Good teaching tool though. lesson learned, soak all food!!!! :surrender:

I knew the frozen, never thought of the flake. GOOD TO KNOW

lcstorc

Wow! I knew it was high but never tested to see how high. Now I wonder about pellets. You would have to let them sit for a while to disolve but it would be an interesting experiment.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ok Doni, WOW that was impressive, I tested my prime reef flakes!!!!

Tank water phosphate 0, flake water (granted, lots of flakes, about a pinch in about 4 oz of tank water) phos went to 10 with API kit.

I didn't test the freeze dried cyplopeeze, now I am scared. Good teaching tool though. lesson learned, soak all food!!!! :surrender:

I knew the frozen, never thought of the flake. GOOD TO KNOW

:thumbup:

Now try soaking a pinch of flakes in some ro/di for a few minutes, strain, and retest. (it is supposed to be less po4 ;) )

:)

sambrinar

:thumbup:

Now try soaking a pinch of flakes in some ro/di for a few minutes, strain, and retest. (it is supposed to be less po4 ;) )

:)

Will do, probably not till Thrus, off tomorrow. Very interesting, I don't have RO/DI, I use distilled, so I will try it with that. kinda cool playing scientist :D

papap

Can you use red fish or some other kind of saltwater fish? I fish here in south Louisiana and we catch lots of fish. I caught 150 pounds of shrimp Monday afternoon. So I have plenty shrimp. I caught some very pretty fish. Not sure what they where but the looked like Angle fish.

michael_cb_125

You can use saltwater fish. You just need to be sure that the fish you use were caught in an area with clean water. Also, you need to freeze the fish to make sure that you kill any "bad" creatures that may be living inside.
I use Tuna, Flounder, Grouper, and Salmon.
~Michael