How to increase quality of tap water without RO/DI?

aprime11b

Hey,

I am currently use tap water for my water changes and top offs to my sump... Is there anyway I can increase the quality of this water before it enters my system without using RO/DI system. My tank is a FOWLR so I dont want to invest in the expensive equipment but try to improve my water source.. Does letting it sit in buckets for long periods of time help with anything? Should I add a filter of some sort to my sink faucet? Should I add a reactor or filter to my holding tank to help with water quality?

Right now I dose with Prime and pH buffer, let it sit for 1-2 days then add it to my tank.. Would any other equipment help, like power head or air stones?

Any other tips or suggestions for my water station holding tap water would be great.

Thank you!

lbiminiblue

letting it sit will do nothing. Reactors may help, but I don't see how constant dosing is less useful than RO. Air stones and powerheads help minimally. they're primarily for water movement. An RO can just be a pod that your tap water runs through, connect it to your kitchen sink, and get your water from there maybe?

aprime11b

Maybe I will look into it if there is no other options.. Thanks for the reply.. My tax return seems to be flying away quickly.

I do have a utility sink in my garage which I could connect the RO too... That is where I keep my 5g buckets and 35g mixing can.

aprime11b

What are the best ro/di units that are easy to install to a normal facet? I have no idea how they work.. Is just a normal 4 stage ro/di okay? What brand? I have 5 online sites open right now looking for a good deal... in the $125-175 range..

modulok

You could get a normal drinking water RO system. You can probably get one for ~$50. I've been using one for 1.5 years and my tank is doing well.

(Although I just got a new RO-DI system)

aprime11b

Thank you for the replies. I am starting to see how important the water is... perhaps that is why my algae problem will not go away.

Thanks for the link.. I will check out their items..

I am looking at these 2 right now... I am getting close to buy...

what do you all think?

p.s. the BRS ro/di system was one of them saltfan!

What do you think about this one? 150 GPD 4 Stage RO DI Pro Water Filter with TDS, Auto Shutoff 75/150 GPD 4 Stage RO DI Pro Water Filter with TDS, Auto Shutoff

compared to the BRS models.. Bulk Reef Supply - Search Results for ro/di

which BRS one is best?

aprime11b

Thank you sir, both the links of RO/DI that I was looking out are on that thread, so they must be good.. I think ill get the one with the auto shut off and drain saddle valve for a little extra

aprime11b

It's funny that this started as I don't want to spend money, to a $200 unit.

This is what I went with: MAXCAP RO/DI MF SYSTEM
For $308 (price match at Marine Depot), I have 180gpd system. 2:1 waste ratio.

Your telling me... Like I said, my tax return is flying away... I try to behave and stay in budget looking for cheap alternatives but everyone on RS is all for a RO/DI system... So thank you RS!! But I am sure it will make my 220g healthier and happier... I ended up ordered the $200 unit with the auto shut off and tds... Now I will have to figure how to set it up and slowly remove water from my tank and get this good water in it.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
It is impossible imho to use treated tapwater for any length of time. Tap water can and does have phosphates, nitrates, and trace minerals such as iron and copper. Over time these will build up to toxic levels in the system. Phos and Nitrate can be removed with traditional reactors, but Copper isnt so easy to remove. Carbon can get most of it, but not all. I've used treated tap water, because my water showed TDS of 12-14 out of the faucet. Over 1 year, i battled algae, cyano, and worse. Even running a power filter with floss and carbon, the copper built up in the system till the 8 mo mark, most of my cuc died within a few days.

Can you use treated tap water in a pinch, yes. Can it be done for a week or two for top off's safely, yes(with increased filtration/nutrient export), but in a long term aquarium, it will cause issues. Even so called water conditioners dont always neutralize copper. all metal faucets i've seen, and every city water system uses brass/bronze alloy fittings/valves. without RO/DI, you're slowly adding a toxic metal to your system, one which kills invers, poisons fish, and can be absorbed by live rock. I'd advice getting a RO/DI asap, and using store bought water for top offs till then. The 65 i started with treated tap water crashed after 10 mo, evne with water changes. The rock had absorbed copper and was leaching it. Istarted picking it up again after i switched to RO/DI made SW. I had to do 20% water changes every 4 days for 6 mo to get rid of the copper. I never advise using Tap water for even topoffs unless there is no other option. BRS makes good RO/DI that are cheap, make 50-75 gpd, and they sell kits to replace the media easily. Since i started using Only RO/DI, i've seen the copper disipate, and lower measurable nitrate/phosphate levels with fewer water changes and implimentation of a Turf Scrubber.

aprime11b

It is impossible imho to use treated tapwater for any length of time. Tap water can and does have phosphates, nitrates, and trace minerals such as iron and copper. Over time these will build up to toxic levels in the system. Phos and Nitrate can be removed with traditional reactors, but Copper isnt so easy to remove. Carbon can get most of it, but not all. I've used treated tap water, because my water showed TDS of 12-14 out of the faucet. Over 1 year, i battled algae, cyano, and worse. Even running a power filter with floss and carbon, the copper built up in the system till the 8 mo mark, most of my cuc died within a few days.

Can you use treated tap water in a pinch, yes. Can it be done for a week or two for top off's safely, yes(with increased filtration/nutrient export), but in a long term aquarium, it will cause issues. Even so called water conditioners dont always neutralize copper. all metal faucets i've seen, and every city water system uses brass/bronze alloy fittings/valves. without RO/DI, you're slowly adding a toxic metal to your system, one which kills invers, poisons fish, and can be absorbed by live rock. I'd advice getting a RO/DI asap, and using store bought water for top offs till then. The 65 i started with treated tap water crashed after 10 mo, evne with water changes. The rock had absorbed copper and was leaching it. Istarted picking it up again after i switched to RO/DI made SW. I had to do 20% water changes every 4 days for 6 mo to get rid of the copper. I never advise using Tap water for even topoffs unless there is no other option. BRS makes good RO/DI that are cheap, make 50-75 gpd, and they sell kits to replace the media easily. Since i started using Only RO/DI, i've seen the copper disipate, and lower measurable nitrate/phosphate levels with fewer water changes and implimentation of a Turf Scrubber.

Thank sir, I appreciate your advise. I ordered the RO/DI unit from TD Aquatics. I hope to have it here soon so I can begin with the quality water. Do I still have to put prime in the water from the RO/DI unit?

I hope once I start doing a few water changes all my algae will stop.

theplantman

No, you do not need to put prime in the RO/DI water. This will be a good start to clearing up your algae but won't solve it entirely. Algae feeds off of nitrates and phosphates which are constantly being added to the tank. The 4 best ways to remove these items IMO are as follows:

1. Control your stocking and your feeding and use quality foods or rinse the frozen you use instead of just dropping in a cube.
2. Protein skimming with an appropriately sized skimmer
3. Planted refugium, phosphate reactor or algae scrubber to remove nitrates and phosphates.
4. Regular Water Changes.. Minimum of 10% per month if you want to keep corals, I would up this. I do 15% per week in my 34 gallon to ensure my water stays stable in a small system.

As far as getting rid of the algae you have - Cerith Snails, Margarite Snails, Astra Snails and lots of them in a 220.

aprime11b

Thanks.. How many snails should I get for my tank.. I know my triggers and puffers like snails so I will have to constantly add more, maybe once a year.. I just added a $60 CUC from online.. Was about 40 snails... Dunno how many are alive, and they arrived very TINY...