How to dose Kalkwasser?

Couch

I have had a tub of kalkwasser for a few months now and would like to use it. Is there a way to dose it without a reactor? Would there be negative effects if I were to just add a small amount to my waterchange water and/or my top off water? I changed my salt from IO to Reef crystals because I thought the crystals would have a larger amount of calcium, but there is really no noticeable difference from my measurements. Right now I sit right around 300-325 and would like to raise it to 450. Any suggestions?

Warnberg

I would use a small amount of your Kalkwasser to your top-off water and drip it into a high flow area (sump) make sure after mixing the Kalk powder you let it settle before dripping. If you top-off with Kalk you will see a raise in pH and a raise in calc... test you mag level as well and make sure it's where it should be.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Don't use kalk with your water change; use it only when you replenish evaporated water. Remember that it is used to keep the calcium up so first test to see if you even need it.
Dosing is via a drip during the night hours or ATO (I do that).

Couch

OK, how do I add it to my top off water? Do I need to dose it into the top off to avoid getting any of the settled particles in it, or can I just add a small amount and let a pump mix it up before adding the top off to the tank?

blue_eyes53813

Hello couch, I had the same delima awhile back. here is the link
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ussion/9786-more-confusion-dripping-kalk.html

The main thing is you have to get the calcium up first and get Alk and pH stable too. Kalk will keep the perimeters stable but wont raise them. In the link above there is other links to tell you how to do that. I know it is long but the information is in it.

I even made copies of the links for reference.
After you get all levels stable and you can start to drip. I got a drip container from marine depot and drip 2 gallons of Ro water with 2 teaspoons of kalk that i let dissolve for 24 hours or more.

What corals do you have in your tank? You may not need to even drip.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I mix 1 tsp of kalk per gallon of fresh water; shake, then pour into my kalk reservoir. My new reservoir holds 10 usable gallons of kalkwasser.
The power head that pumps it into my sump sits about 2" from the bottom... perfect for not sucking up the settled goo.

Couch

I have a Finger leather, two Kenya trees, Neon green plaet coral, Evergreen GSP's, 3 Ricordia's, Assorted Zoos, and I will be adding more LPS to my tank in the future.