How to determine if Salt Mix is still good?

ScubaJ813

I tried to search this but no real answers. So through searching, I did find out as long as it is sealed and dry it shouldn't expire... basically lasts forever. So I still have a 175g tub of Coral Pro Salt mix left over from my previous build around 18 months ago stored in my laundry room.

Now, it has never been opened, so I don't think the innate moisture of the laundry room would penetrate the bucket and individual bags. But how do I determine if the mix is good?

My tank isn't up yet, and won't be for another ~60 days. But I rather not make 100g of bad salt water for the initial fill just to save $70. The easy answer is just toss it, but I would hate to waste $70.

Thanks!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If it hasn't taken on ANY moisture (is still very free flowing & DRY)....I think it would be just fine to use it. Making up some & testing it would be best.
If it is caked at all, it obviously has drawn in moisture. If so, I wouldn't use it at all.
Sealed unopened bags that have been properly stored should not have any clumps or lumps. Laundry rooms are generally very humid so it's "iffy" :fishy:

StirCrayzy

Well here are the options. Of course in my opinion, the salt's not likely bad. I'm not even sure it can go bad anyway.

1. Assume it's bad & Throw it away. :( -$70
2. Assume nothing mix it up and test it. Cost = 0
Nothing to lose. if params way off, you dump it-$70, if not you are even Steven.
3. Assume it's good, mix and use without testing ? Yeah right . Losses unlikely but possible.

The only thing you are putting on the line by giving it a shot is wasted RODI. Minimal cost , pennies ?... I can't think of any reason not to mix up and check it.

ScubaJ813

Thanks for the input. What would I be testing for? Would it contain any testable contaminants? Or specific gravity be off?

Ill crack it open and see if it is clumpy or hard. If fine, Ill move it into a different dry area. If it were stored anywhere else, I probably wouldn't even question it. If it's even suspicious, I will toss is... everything crumbles with a bad foundation.

Squatch XXL

Unless its a total hard lump, I can't see an issue. Check your mix for specific gravity, and it should be fine. Salt unless totally sealed in a cool corner in some air tight container can absorb moisture out of the air.

Last edited:

Nascar99

I agree as long as it's not hard I'd use it. I mean.. just test it :)

There's probably warehouses full of this stuff sitting there for years waiting for Petco to order more lol