How on earth do you clean your rear sump !

Acro

I've been lurking for over a year on this site, thank you to everyone for such great posts!

Now my question is, how on earth do you all clean the rear sump? It's such a pain and I never get it all. Any tips and tricks?

Acro

Lol and I just realized I forgot to put sump in the thread title! Tell me how to clean your TANK rear haha

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! I use a long piece of flexible tubing, like 1/2" and stick it in the back chamber. Then I have someone else start a siphon into a bucket using the other end of the tubing and have them hold that end in the bucket while I clean out the bottom of the chambers.

Pat24601

I had this question as well. In fact, not sure I understand the answers. I'm going to punt until my tank is older. :)

BTW, the thread title is awesome!

Acro

Thanks for all the responses and ideas!

I was thinking of doing it another way so I hope I can explain this well...
I'm going to take a return pump I have laying around and convert it into a water changer that doesn't change water! Lol

One end will have a hose (suction side) and the other will have a hose with a filter sock locked on facing back into the tank. That way I can clean out the sump without doing a huge water change.

Thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :) Cheers for moving from Lurking to posting !

fixed your thread title :p added the word sump... might help you get more & better feedback ;)

I siphon mine like Greg does ^ , similar to a wc, a couple times a year.

during wc, I naturally siphon out water, but use a pump to add the new sw back - I can see where your way would work too, using a pump

Pat24601

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

fixed your thread title :p added the word sump... might help you get more & better feedback ;)

I siphon mine like Greg does ^ , similar to a wc, a couple times a year.

during wc, I naturally siphon out water, but use a pump to add the new sw back - I can see where your way would work too, using a pump

What kind of pump do you use for your SW changes?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am currently using a sicce (the same as the skimmer pump RSM 250), a member of the RSM club shutdown his tank & Pmed me & then sent me all his pumps... shipped for $60, a great deal.

on the title change LOL I may have saved the mods and admins from having to deal with some member who just could not resist :poke: and decided to hijack the op real question

Pat24601

I am currently using a sicce (the same as the skimmer pump RSM 250), a member of the RSM club shutdown his tank & Pmed me & then sent me all his pumps... shipped for $60, a great deal.

on the title change LOL I may have saved the mods and admins from having to deal with some member who just could not resist :poke: and decided to hijack the op real question

Thanks for the pump advice.

On the title change, you are clearly the enemy of fun. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers Pat RS has had little drama related in the past year, but we have gone through periods... that some members made being a mod, less than fun, in the past and we had to deal with it... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/suggestion-box/78436-attn-all-members.html

this one was fun, just trying to not let some member use the opportunity to cause us to have to bump ^

hope everyone understands :clink:

same title Roy ... minus the last word ;) was a good laugh

Pat24601

I'm totally joking. I mod other boards (not reef boards clearly). Everyone always tells me I'm the enemy of fun. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers mate ! Thanks to everyone who makes being a mod here without drama & helps keep RS a Sanctuary of reefing forums and very special !

Anyone else got some Tips on cleaning the Sump/Rear area being their DT (display tank) on the RSM 130/250 tanks?

Roy Page

Cheers mate ! Thanks to everyone who makes being a mod here without drama & helps keep RS a Sanctuary of reefing forums and very special !

Glenn, it is really difficult to run a forum, so many think it is easy, but they are so wrong.
Read the rules of mine and you know what kind of problems I have had to deal with, and then there are all those that constantly lose their credentials and of course it is always my fault ...lol
Piper Cherokee Chat Forum Rules >>> http://www.cherokeechat.org/rules.html

Congrats to Travis and folk like yourself for keeping it going in a good and positive direction

Roy

Pat24601

I don't quite get what everyone is saying. So basically siphoning your rear sump is good enough? I was imaging there would come a day when I would really have to get back there and scrub it all down somehow. A day I dread, btw.

Just a little bit of vacuuming/siphoning is good enough?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can also take a brush & clean the walls a bit 1st... here one tip, choose to do this at the same time you replace your chemical filtration, as it does stir up debris & siphoning will miss a bit.

mr950.jpg