how often to feed...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just wanted to post a link to a post Lee made today... made me think about RSM members that have grazing fish...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/60738-help-clown-problem.html

small extraction from post #5 of the above link

"I'm concerned that the feeding you've listed isn't enough food. I'm unsure how often you feed some of those foods or how much you feed at any given time. But, three times a day is a minimum number of feedings or if you can, little feedings throughout the day"

I know we often say Don't Overfeed - Cyano - but worth considering if our fish are being fed enough too... especially the grazing fish like tangs...

Just food for thought...

jpsika08

Glenn, when I posted that thread was for another subject and to my surpirse I realized that my feeding habit is all wrong, at least what I'm feeding to my fish is not what's best recommended.

We usually care more about water quality and additives for corals rather than the fish feeding procedure, I know (at least for me) that this was not at my top of the list need-to-know basics.

Inside that post are some of Lee's recommandations and threads, I would encourage everyone to read them as it's a key factor in SW success.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Juan - I agree... wanted to share with the family here
1218.gif

clka

Lots of good info, thanks for posting that link.

One thing I have wondered as I have decided to start soaking frozen food in garlic - How long can I keep thawed food fresh in the frig? I would like to thaw a cube, let it soak in a bit of garlic for about 1/2 hour, then mix a little at a time with tank water in a (needle-less) syringe for feeding. Since I only have one fish right now, I would hope it might be good for a few days. What do you think?

Cheryl

Dweezil

Cheryl ~ I've heard of people keeping it in the fridge for several days with no problems. Personally, I make my own serving size using those mini ice cube trays. One serving per cube and that works very well for me.

clka

Cheryl ~ I've heard of people keeping it in the fridge for several days with no problems. Personally, I make my own serving size using those mini ice cube trays. One serving per cube and that works very well for me.

Tammy, do you thaw and then re-freeze in single servings? Or store in the frig in the ice cube trays?

Thanks,
Cheryl

jpsika08

Lee's recommending three times a day as a minium, the only way I can do this is by using an autofeeder, I read your Top-10-Autofeeders link in another post (BTW thanks) but first I really need to figure how to install it on the RSM :)

Dweezil

Cheryl ~ This is what I do..not saying it's right or wrong just what has been working for me. I rinse frozen Mysis in RO/DI water. I also will add sometimes a deli shrimp from the grocery store or a clam or scallop chopped up finely along with some Marine Cuisine, (all rinsed) then I put in all in a small tuperware container and add some RO/DI water..not much just a bit. I then place a few drops Selcon Vitamin Supplement in. Mix all together and put into the mini ice-cube trays. top of with some RO/DI and freeze. After it's frozen completely, I pop them out and store in a small baggie.

clka

Cheryl ~ This is what I do..not saying it's right or wrong just what has been working for me. I rinse frozen Mysis in RO/DI water. I also will add sometimes a deli shrimp from the grocery store or a clam or scallop chopped up finely along with some Marine Cuisine, (all rinsed) then I put in all in a small tuperware container and add some RO/DI water..not much just a bit. I then place a few drops Selcon Vitamin Supplement in. Mix all together and put into the mini ice-cube trays. top of with some RO/DI and freeze. After it's frozen completely, I pop them out and store in a small baggie.

Thanks Tammy :flower:

Cheryl