How often do fire cleaner shrimp shed?

GeeWizzItsMe

Just wondering! Does it have to do with a calcium amount, so it varies from tank to tank? Cause that is what I was thinking...

michael_cb_125

Iodine is very important dor the health of shrimp, they need the proper amounts to shed.
Mine shed about twice a month.-Michael

Mine seems to shed with the cycle of the moon. Lately it's been within about 48 hrs following the last day of the full moon.

reefjitsu

Iodine is only need in very minute amounts. It is called a trace element. It is poisonous in larger amounts (this is why it is used to sterilize for surgery). It is neccessary for shrimp and all animals in very minute amounts. Shrimp are able to incorpate excess iodine into their exoskeleton and then shed to get rid of it. This has led to the belief that it helps them molt. It really causes them to molt to rid their bodies of toxic amounts.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Every few weeks is normal.... but also note that overly frequent shedding has been looked at as a sign of stress..... yes you can shed TOO much :)

Allen

tbittner

It might molt and you just don't notice it. Sometimes they molt in a little cave, and then hang out there until they grow another exoskeleton. They also eat the molt because it's rich in calcium.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Younger shrimps molt more often than older shrimps because they are growing faster. The molt is initiated by growth hormones not by iodine. Iodine aids in a successful molt, but does not initiate it.

vdituri

I"ve read about the excess iodine shed as well in addition to the growth shed.
Where do we go for a ruling on this?

kathywithbirds

I'd heard about the iodine with the molts... but if they eat the molt wouldn't that be re-consuming the iodine they just shed?

reefjitsu

They are not likely to eat a molt that was caused by excess iodine. Molting or shedding the exoskeleton is normal behavior for growth and repair. Molting due to iodine will be in addition to this normal behavior. They will shed more frequently if you dose iodine in order to help rid the body of the excess.

reefjitsu

Who uses iodine: Shrimp

As one moves up the food chain to more sophisticated organisms, data on their ability to take up iodine from the water column becomes very sparse. Shrimp are known to have a need for iodine to grow, but that is only known in terms of a dietary requirement. The shrimp, Penaeus chinensis O'sbeck, for example, grows optimally when the diet contains 0.003% iodine.56

Shrimp apparently incorporate substantial amounts of iodoorganics into their bodies. The shrimp Pandalus borealis, for example, incorporates between 0.04 and 2 ppm iodine as iodoorganic compounds depending on the particular body tissues examined. Their roe were somewhat higher, up to 4 ppm iodine as iodoorganic compounds.57 Shrimp shells and other parts can contain up to 17 ppm by dry weight iodine, the majority of which is iodoorganic compounds58, but the values are still far lower than for other inverts like macroalgae, sponges, or gorgonia.

Still, the amount contained says nothing about whether iodine is an important requirement. I could find no scientific studies that showed that shrimp need iodine from the water column, but neither could I find any that demonstrates that they do not.

Chemistry and the Aquarium

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Am I totally wrong or doesn't the IODINE change chemically within the shrimp? Doesn't it have to be broken down and "Reconstituted" to be able to be "taken up" again by another animal?

Allen

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Adding to what Reefjitsu posted, a molt due to high iodine would be abnormal, artificial and un-natural, IMO, stressful on the animal.

I"ve read about the excess iodine shed as well in addition to the growth shed

Don't make me come over there!:lol:

cracker

How long does the process "usually" take? From molting till the new shell has hardened. One of my new skunks went missing a few days ago. Today I found an empty shell I'm sure there wasn't any shrimp in it at least. I'm hoping the stress of the new tank caused it to molt & it's hiding out. I would think if the shrimp died the brittles would have eaten it right away shell & all.

hma

Each body requires very small quantities of iodine daily. Whether shrimp, crabs, fish or coral, all they need iodine for a healthy life cycle.
In the sea iodine comes only in very small quantities as a "over dose" is excluded. In the “standard” aquarium is sufficient iodine present if you changes every week 10-15% water. There are exceptions. If for example many gorgonians maintained ore if you use aktivated carbon. Activated Carbon cut the water almost everything iodine. In this case, little iodine doses, a few drops approximately every 2-3 weeks, is sufficient.

BTW. Young shrimp molting much more common than adult animals. In the first year of life molt shrimp initially almost every week, then every 2-3 weeks. Adult shrimp molting every 4-6 weeks.