How much live sand?

GirlyGirl101

Hey y'all! I am starting a 90 gal reef tank but I don't know how much live sand to get. My tank is the typical 48" X 18" X 24". Is there a formula I can use and how thick should it be? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

frisbee

Save your money. Live sand in a bag is basically just sand that is populated with the necessary bacteria for the cycle to take place. Nothing more. If you use dry sand it's only a matter of time before this will become alive as well. Things like pods, worms etc are usually imported through the use of live rock. You can also buy detrivore kits online if you need to populate your tank with these critters as well.. GL.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcenter_calculators_sand_bed_calculator.html

Last edited:

DaveK

Hey y'all! I am starting a 90 gal reef tank but I don't know how much live sand to get. My tank is the typical 48" X 18" X 24". Is there a formula I can use and how thick should it be? Thanks!

Actually, no there isn't. This is because there are many way of doing a sandbed, and all of them are correct. You can use non at all, or just enough to cover the bottom, or about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep, or 4 inches or more deep.

You will want to go deeper if you plan on fish that like to bury themselves.

My personal choice would be to use about 1 to 1 1/2" of sand, but I wouldn't call any of the other choices wrong.

GirlyGirl101

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and got live sand simply because I didn't want to rinse it and I do have about 1 1/2ish of cover. It looks awesome. I'll post a pic as soon as everything settles. :)

GirlyGirl101

Ok, here is my tank. I'm going to start my tank thread and post it there too.

Oh no! I'm taking the pic with my camera phone and it says to file is too big! Any suggestions?

GirlyGirl101

<b>1 way to post pics from photobucket</b><br /><i>compliments of <b>nanoreefing4fun</b></i> ... thank you :)<br /><br /><br />This is one way &amp; how I do it, I go to Image hosting, free photo sharing &amp; video sharing at Photobucket (they will "host" your pictures for free)<br /><br /><br /><br /> 1. Sign up (free) <br /> 2. Click on My Album<br /> 3. Click upload image<br /> 4. Then point to to your pic(s) on your pc &amp; hit upload<br /> 5. Then under newest loaded (this 1 way to do it) click on the pick you want to use<br /> 6. Then click on "Share"<br /><br /> 7. Click on tab "Get link code"<br /><br /> 8. Under "IMG for bulletin boards &amp; forums:" click &amp; then right click copy<br /><br /> 9. Then here on RS in a post, right click paste to copy "code link to your pic" here &amp; the picture will appear.<br /><br /><br /><br />The code you paste in to the post here... so the pic will show up will look like this.... I had to take off the start [ so you could see the syntax/code<br /><br />IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/snowdogwgm/rsm0724.jpg[/IMG]<br /><br />When you use it... a pic will appear... like this :)<br /><br />
rsm0724.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
no problem... just keep playing with it, until you get it :clownfish:

once you get a pic loaded to a "host" like photobucket or RS - just right click on the post & get the URL - Copy Image URL

then click on the little "picture frame" icon & add it there... and it will show up...
if you get an error, leave it & I will help :dance:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
your getting closer

if you get the url add this around it zimg]xxxxxxyourURLherexxxxx[/img]

in the syntax above... 1st bracket [ replaced with a Z so I could show this...