How much live rock in your Max? And what kind?

Salty150

Was wondering how much live rock people are putting in their Red Sea Max - and what kind?

Also, pictures of aquascapes/amounts would be nice :)

6ed6680e6da2f31a2e3e22a4f306005d.jpg

TEA

I've got 60 lbs in mine. 40 lbs of CaribSea South Seas Base Rock and 20 lbs of Fiji Dry Live Rock.
This is a pick of my tank shortly after getting all the rock in and filling the tank.
IMG_0011_2.jpg

Salty150

Very nice!

How much sand did you two use...?

I am trying to decide between the Caribsea South Seas rock - and Bulk Reef Supply Reef Saver rock or their Pukani rock...

TEA

I used 40 lbs of Caribsea Arag-Alive and 40 lbs of Caribsea Aragonite mixed together in the tank. I put the 40 lbs of South Sea Base Rock in on the bare tank bottom then started placing the sand around the rock by alternating between the Live Sand and the Dry Sand. Once all the sand was in the tank I used my hand to mix it around some and push sand underneath holes in the rock so as much of the bottom was covered as I could get. I didn't have the 20 lbs of Fiji rock at the time so I added that in on top of the other rock about a week later. I really liked the BRS Reef Saver and Pukani rock but I was able to find all the rock I needed at a couple LFS. I don't mind supporting the local stores when they have what I need.

TEA

Yes, I believe so based on what I've read on Deep Sand Bed (DSB) creation. I guess there are pros and cons to a DSB but I think the pros outweigh the cons. IMHO. And I know there are folks out there that will say a DSB must be over 5 inches but based on all I've read you start getting into the DSB territory at anything over 3 inches which I have in most areas of the tank with lots of area being around 4 inches in depth.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think less than 1" is safe and the 3" is a solid sand bed. In between and it can be a little problematic. A DSB really starts at 5" IMO and they are best if you can plumb them to be remote. This way cleaning or changing them do not cause problems as long as you plumb a bypass into the system to keep the water flowing.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Like mine started: image.jpg
There are several swim-throughs that don't show up in this^photo
And like it looks today:
image.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think if I were doing it over, I would take more time building a fancier rockscape.
I'd also add more sand because as the ugly tank syndrome progresses, There needs to be allowance for lost sand from siphoning off cyano, GHA & diatoms.
The Rockscape will be covered in corals eventually so the kind of rock won't be very visable. Light weight extra porous rock is best IMO.
I bought my LR from here & there locally. Tried for diversity & don't know how many pounds I ended up with. A bit more is better than not enough.
Probably should judge by your scape build keeping in mind that you need surface area w/ledges to place corals on.
Sorry so long of a post :baghead:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Salty on my 1st tank, I went with all beautiful expensive Tonga Branch LR - on my 2nd tank I decided to go with Marco Rock (dry rock) and 20% LR

Lots of corals like to live in the sand, so I like a more open look, around 1 pound per gallon

Both ways worked great for me, I used CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand - a nice white sand and not to small in size so as to suspend

Great advise from all above ^ no 1 right way, I would try for different levels as some corals like more light than others, I had what I considered pretty scape, after 6 years my corals have grown out to where I can't see hardly any of my rock :smile: if this post is of any help... on depth sand most say.. go 1-2" or 4-5 plus... I have about 2 1/2" not sure that was best... but has worked

Salty150

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it seems that 60 pounds of sand seems to be the right amount to get to the 2" mark for the 250...?

TEA

Yep, rinse, rinse, rinse, aaaannnddd repeat. That sand is dirty!!! I was rinsing mine in a 3 gallon bucket over the kitchen sink as I set my tank up while there was still snow on the ground. Talk about labor intensive!!! The live sand I bought was easy, just dump it right on in. :)