How many fish can go into a 75 gallon

powrsurg

You have 600 gallons and I have more fish? What would you suggest I add to make my tank more interesting? More Inverts? I'm seriously disappointed because generally there is only one fish in view at a time. The rest are swimming behind rocks and such. While my rock has really nice green and purple corraline algae, there has to be more to this hobby than just staring at rock and an occasional fish. What am I not getting? Thanks

PIMPALA

what you are missing is corals.

SPS, LPS, and softies. Colorful things that move in the current. fish only do so much for the eyes. having corals in a tank that cover the boring rocks with life, and grow/change constantly are my favorite part of this hobby. seeing the corals react differently in the morning when my lights first come on, then at noon when the full brights are on and everyone is all the way out... to the way they react when i feed them and their tentacles stretch across the water column to catch food, and then at night when the main lights go out, and only the blue LEDs are on, and everything has a florescent neon glow... THATS why i love this hobby. ad THAT is what you are missing. IMO, fish only tanks are only fun if they are predator tanks (i have one of those too).

Fish that are comfortable, and swim out front 99% of the time. In my main display, I can look over and see at a minimum of 75% of my fish, 100% of the time (as long as the lights are on).

having aggressive fish like lunar wrasse and damsels in there, will make the docile fish stay shy and hidden. if you have the lighting for it, you could add a few nems. RBTA, Carpet, mini maxis, etc. that would liven the tank up a lot!

powrsurg

I am intrigued by reef set ups but have concerns over my ability to sustain one. Im gone 15 hours a day. Buying the corals are expensive. Water quality management I've always thought is a lot tougher. I had a bubble anemone but gave it to my friend when the butterfly started nipping at it. It's thriving in my friends tank. Where I've been over confident with a fowlr set up, I fear reefs.

PIMPALA

start with things that are impossible to kill. GSP, Pipe organs, Xenia, Clove polyps, Zoas, kenya trees, etc etc. your tank will quickly fill up with all kinds of life, and it will take on a completely new look.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Listen to Jason. He's spot on. Now with auto top offs n timers for lights ur a OK. I leave my office reef tank untouched for a weekend no problems. Course IRS full of xenia gsp etc n 5 monster fish!

.......thanks for listening.

Frigault

Because this is still of actuality tho it is an old thread. When it come to how many fish can you put, the rule of thubs if for the new comers. Also the 'only 1 of its kind onles its a bonded pair... the thrut is, you can have as much fish as the limiting factor allows you to have.. and tho you can check compatibility chart, lots is trial and error when it come to tank mate, ..the first and most importsnt factor . Is the filtration, biofilter,mechanical filter, skimer refugium, if you have a 4 inch sand bed and over 50lb of live rock a skimer slightly over size, a mechanical filter that is over sizer and a apropriate refugium, you can get awaywith much more then an aquarium that has its spect base on it tank size, but that aline isent all, all fish when they arent happy produce more biolaod then when they sre thriving, so your live rock need to provide shelter for all of your fish and they must have shelter all of them to retreat when stress, this can reduce the biolad, then sfter this the type of fish, 15 inch of fast speedy agitated fish dosen't produce the same bioload as 15 inch of slow rock chilling fish.. so this spectrum needs to be diverted, copepode feeders, herbivore, omnivore and carnivors needs to been mixed, sand shifters bottom dwealler, cove hideout chiller , mellow swimmer and little agitator (fit to display length) needs to also be mixed, ph spike need to be address, all of this bioload causes ph imbalancement when not properly set right , but when everything checks out you can start adding fish , regularly, , for each fish added a little clean up crew should be added few snail p, fee hermit, ect. And a pound or 2 of dry or live rock, in such small amout dry rock is like adding another fish the biofiltrstion can handle the load.. after a week month ypu can easily add more fish.. keeping in mind their full size and their dutie...
C
I have a 75 gallon with 2 aquaclear 110 filter one is a refugium, the other is for charbon. I have a reef octopus 90 , 4 inch of sand band in a 17.5×41x24 some like that i dont remember the actual dimention. And i have over 50 pound of rock maybe 70 I dont know, some are 5 years old.. i dont know i have about 50 more pound left that im thinking of adding to a sump refugium/live food gravity dispensor (live feed less bioload)

I have in there
1x4 inch velvet demsel
1x4 inch coral beauty
2x 3 to 3.5 inch bounded darwin black and white
2x2 inch green mandarin to form a pair
1x 2,5 inch cleaner wrass
1x2 inch pigmy angel
1x 1,5 inch yellow watchman goby and its shrimp

I'll be adding 1 extra yellow watchman eventually to bound a pair
Eventually 2 dottyback or 2 firefish to form a pair
two diamond goby to spit the sand and form a pair would be nice but their adult size is pushing it been looking at blennies also. And this would be it. But it won't be for now.

DaveK

Traditionally the "rule of thumb" for the amount of fish you can put in is1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water.

You have about 22 inches of fish currently. By the traditional rule you have too many fish as it is. Now it is possible to oush this rule quite a bit, but as you do so the system is more and more in a very delicate balance. In other words, the least problem can crash the entire system. Think in terms of a short power failure lasting a couple of hours. With little or no reserve, it's real easy to loose a lot of fish.

If this were my own tank, I would not add anything unless something else came out. Of course you can always solve the problem directly and go out and get that 250gal tank you always wanted. (grin)

As for additional live sand, live rock, filtration, and so on, this is all great to have and while the water quality will be better the amount of livestock you can put in the tank doesn't change too much.

Frigault

Traditionally the "rule of thumb" for the amount of fish you can put in is1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water.

You have about 22 inches of fish currently. By the traditional rule you have too many fish as it is. Now it is possible to oush this rule quite a bit, but as you do so the system is more and more in a very delicate balance. In other words, the least problem can crash the entire system. Think in terms of a short power failure lasting a couple of hours. With little or no reserve, it's real easy to loose a lot of fish.

If this were my own tank, I would not add anything unless something else came out. Of course you can always solve the problem directly and go out and get that 250gal tank you always wanted. (grin)

As for additional live sand, live rock, filtration, and so on, this is all great to have and while the water quality will be better the amount of livestock you can put in the tank doesn't change too much.
you are funny. like i have said. my tank was on for 5 years without barely any water change. what crash it all was vacation with cooling system in a 100f degree week. when i got home wstertank was at 98f . . the 1 inch per 5 gallon as been long debunked with advance technic. its all about establishing the perfect balance and a complete food chaine. . with detritivors, herbivors, omnivors and carnivors. so that everything gets broken down to its element that are consumable by plant. but i would not advice anyone trying this without a complete knowledge of what what is happenning in the tank. it is suppleted with all kind of stuff. and there is still room for a few more fish for duty purposes. not ornemental... like sand shifters and grass eater. is what is on the menu. . i have added the yellow female watchman goby . . its about keeping your parameter in check and boosting biofiltration everytime something is added. i've fought hard to get algea to bloom. i have 210 gallons of filtration. plus the refugium that gravity feeds the tank with copepodes and amphipodes along with removal of nitrate. so everything plays out between baterial growth and copepodes polpulation. and everything that break down waste and amonia. this time around since i want more fish i need to do the water change in order to keep trace element in check for my clean up crew. all fish have a hime. this is the main vincern for the 1 fish per 5 gallon. most startes din't understand aqua scale and pile up rock and hope for the best. .. . water threatment. charbon denitrating pellets and all the clean up crew to keep that sand clean. now a day it is very possible to fetch a 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons with proper knowledge. i also have a sedimentation tank. (tank that as no flow for 1 month to allow everything to fall at the bottom ) this kind of tank is very cool it make a thick layer of all the crap that you don't see in the water so you can salvage you water change wasted and save most of the water. i use this water for copepode and rotifier culture. got the hint in an hold university saltwater aquarium book