how many clowns in a 20 gal.??????

jubbers

i want to get a small group of false percula clownfish in my 20 gallon aquarium of about four. would my aquarium house four false percs?:wave:

lcstorc

Personally I would stick with 2 in a 20g. A 20g should be able to have about 4 inches of fish. To me that would be 2 decent size clowns.
Plus clowns can be agressive to their own kind and I would be worried about territory issues. Could be I am just paranoid since I have a maroon and they are very territorial.

Seeing that the majority of clown's out there are recommended for a minimum of 30g I would have to say 1. But I did notice going by LiveAquaria the Ocellaris tank recommends a 20g minimum. I would still only put 1 just to keep the peace. They can be very territorial I have a 90 and I only have 2 just because of that reason.

jubbers

well they said agression is evened out in a group and it isn't one clown taking the load. plus ocellaris are the most peaceful clowns.

I have a ocellaris and It pretty much keeps to Itself and gets along with everybody, But when Its In my saddleback territory my saddleback chases It right out and shows him whos boss.

Craig Manoukian

No more than 2 in a 20 gallon would be my recommendation. It's better to have them different sizes as this allows the larger one to morph into the female and avoids the aggression issues.

Snelly40

i 100% agree with craig,
get two, with one being a little larger.
4 will be too many in a 20, and they will get aggressive, i know they say percs are the most peaceful, but that doent mean always peaceful!!!
with all due respect, thats like saying, Nurse Sharks are the most peaceful out of great white, hammerhead, bull shark etc... but it will still bite your arm off if it comes down to it ;)

BoomerD

Plus, (in addition to what Craig and the others have told you already) having 3 clowns will mean 2 will gang up on the 3rd...and probably harass it to death...

The stocking limit is more about bioload than aggression, but with any of the damnsels, (clownfish are just damnsels in fancy pajamas) aggression is always something to keep in mind.