How long should I wait before I start having an Anemone?

archer

I have a 55 gallon tank up and running for a month. Have 3 Chromis and 2 Clownfish. And a bunch of cleaner crew. Is my tank ready for an anemone?

DaveK

In a word, no. anemones require top quality water, and stable conditions. This generally takes the better part of a year to arrive at. It would be best to wait.

Also, you'll need excellent lighting. You don't mention what you have over the tank, so double check that before you try an anemone.

KRAZE

I would also say wait... however not that you should follow by me, but I have 3 anenomes in my 30gal that have been there 3 months now, and the tank is only 8 months old lol. The rock came frm a 2 year old reef, so it was cured pretty well, and the tank only currently runs a mod'd HOB too lol... I've seen nitrates upwards of 80ppm in the tank before, no trouble with them... One is a 1" across rtba, one is a 4" mini carpet, the other is just a strawberry nem that hitchhiked in, bt now I feed him once a week

So it can be done, but not recomended

Tru2nr

While it can be done it should not. You need to wait roughly 6 months after maturation of the tank. A tank with good porous fully cured live rock could be mature at 6 months. If a tank was started with dry rock it could take 1 year for maturation. An advanced aquarist will have a higher success rate if added prior to the 6 month post maturation. If your asking if too soon i would assume that doesnt apply. I would wait until your tank has been running for a year before you think about it. Also note...nems are like godzilla in Tokyo....they will walk over EVERYTHING and leave a trail of chaos :)

...My names Alex...and I'm a house-watering-aholic

Jetbkk

I'm not sure I buy the one year thing, but it is a good guideline to follow. I had one in my 50g for a year and put it into my new 230g a month after it was set up - and it has more than doubled in size since then (just a few months). So the bottom line is that they need good stable water and very good lighting. Mine goes crazy over the 2 400w MH lights compared to the 150w in my previous tank so I can see what a huge different that makes.

If you have a good stable system with a lot of light some types of Anemones will probably be fine. In my experience, LTA's have been the easiest. If you still feel your system is new and has some kinks to work out, then wait.

Willie McDaries

I would wait for about a year too,give your tank time to fully mature,as already stated above.....when your tank is ready,I suggest getting a bubble tip,they seem to stay put for very long periods of time,once they find their happy place and are(or seem to me to be)the most hardy,the rose bubble tips are gorgeous too,and some with extremely wild colors....here's a few examples

my green bubble tip
IMG_2733.jpg

1 of my 3 rose bubble tips
IMG_2752.jpg

this is a macro shot of a very cool looking rose that belongs to Troylee on R2R
if I remember correctly,it was under LED lighting at the time this pic was taken
corals064.jpg

rexf

I have a 150 LR, coral, fish, invert tank and want to spool up a anemone tank. I was thinking about 55 gallon.

Is there an "ideal size" anemone tank? I don't want one too small and have increased maintenance.

How is the best, most efficient, quickest way to set up the tank?

Any tips......

DaveK

Depending upon the anemone you want a 55 might be too small. I had a GBTA fill about 2/3 of a 90 gal tank. They can get big, and you want to make sure they can't end up in the overflow or worse in the intake of a circulation pump.

I wouldn't say you can use a 55, but I'd go with something larger if I could. Also consider what else you want to keep in the tank. Other fish can easily end up as food for your anemone, especially if they are fish like gobies or hawks that love to perch on rocks.

As for "...the best, most efficient, quickest way to set up the tank..." the way to success is to take your time, consider your options carefully, do a lot of planning, and wait that year before you add an anemone. This is the sort of hobby where you end up failing in a big way if you push too hard for fast results.

rexf

Should I be looking at a single overflow? I don't plan to use any additional jets to prevent anemone injuries. Will water flow be adequate if I do not use any jets?

kare-bear

I have been thinking about anemones lately too. In my past tank I had one and it moved around and picked a place I didn't like. Now I have a large tank and I have other pieces that are in my opinion so much nicer and easier. I feel like my bubble coral, torch coral, and hammer have beautiful movement in the current and stay where I secure them. anemones require feeding, get stressed if tank conditions fluctuate, and move around. I choose no anemone at this time because the coral is less work. I have seen some beautiful leathers that are hardy for beginners and clowns often like them. Some other beautiful options are feather dusters. Do some reading on anemones and look up topics such as "stressed anemone" "dying anemone" and see what you learn to make the best choice for you. I have heard recommendations that a tank is almost ready at the 1 year mark for an anemone.

tofuSphere

I would suggest buying a nem that split from a hobbyist's tank or buy a "used" nem, if you are not very good with keeping the water stable :); I cheat that way in the beginning and do the same way for fish. The only few times I got wild caught fish were for those hard to find used