How long does nitrogen cycle last?

capital1983

Hey All,

So I have had my tank set up for about 6 weeks now and today the live rock has been in there for 4 weeks. The Live Sand was in there for the full 6 weeks. the tank went through the Ammonia Spike, and now I then I had a large amount of algae growth that is slowly dwindling away. I have added rowaphos to help out with that. the issue I am having now is I am getting little oxygen bubbles that are completely covering the rock and the undisturbed live sand that will float up to the surface all day when the lights are on. I figured that this is part of the nitrogen cycle as the LR that I got from DR Fosters is said to be uncured. It came all nice and colored with sponges and green, purple and pink coraline algae. When I added it to the tank, most of the coraline algae has bleached out due to the change in lighting from the facility to my tank.

My question is how long does this process last and should I continue to do water changes or should I just top off?

This was not an issue with my last tank as the LR that I bought was from a LFS and was fully cured.

null_zps3a86af9f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Close up:

null_zps697dfcda.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any info you can provide will help!

DaveK

The little bubbles your seeing is called pearling. It's caused by any algae or other plants growing in water and giving off oxygen as part of photosynthesis. That by itself is not a bad thing, but the algae growth is usually something you don't want.

The nitrogen cycle is a continues process. Actually you want it. I think what your asking is how long the initial startup cycle lasts. This can vary quite a bit depending on many factors, especially the live rock and live sand used, quality of the water, and almost every other factor. Typically this runs from about 2 weeks to about 6 weeks. Since you have already seen an ammonia spike, and I assume a nitrite spike you tank should be ready.

At this point do a nitrate test and see what that reading is. If it's high, then do some very large water changes to reduce it to a normal number. This is not strictly needed, but highly recommended. It goes a long way to reducing algae issues in the future. You'll need to change about 50% or more of the water each time.

You have a new tank, and it's getting an algae bloom. This is the next thing you want to work on. First the water changes as mentioned above. Second, add a fairly large clean up crew. I prefer a mix of snails and hermit crabs, but I wouldn't call any other combination wrong. I would not add sand sifting stars or sea cucumbers at this time. Give them a some time, typically 2 - 3 weeks, to work over the algae.

Once you got that, you can start adding fish and easy to keep corals, and your on your way.

capital1983

Thanks DaveK,

I will test my nitrate levels to see what they are. As for the cleanup crew, I don't think I can add anything. This is going to be a FOWLR tank. I plan on a trigger and puffer and want to work my other fish around them..

I will keep you posted as to what happens in the next few weeks.

capital1983

Question, Since I do not have a clean-up crew, can I take a unused toothbrush to scrub the rocks to release the bubbles and any loose brown algae? these bubbles have been happening since I put the rock in the tank 4 weeks ago and have had no sign of dissipating. I have checked my nitrate and ammonia levels, both are 0. Salinity is 1.024. temp is 80.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I had those bubbles too...very frustrating! I used a turkey baster & it helped with my personal vengeance against them (LOL!) but I think basically they had to run their course. Hang in there & eventually "new tank syndrome" will disappear. I think you need to add 2 Mexican Turbo to clean up your rock when if you eventually return them to the LFS, they work amazingly FAST!

capital1983

I had those bubbles too...very frustrating! I used a turkey baster & it helped with my personal vengeance against them (LOL!) but I think basically they had to run their course. Hang in there & eventually "new tank syndrome" will disappear. I think you need to add 2 Mexican Turbo to clean up your rock when if you eventually return them to the LFS, they work amazingly FAST!

Diana,

I hope they run their course in my DT as well in the next few weeks I keep scrubbing the rock and gently disturbing the sand, but to no avail, the bubbles keep coming back. I added more Rowaphos hoping that it helps.

ReefingFun

Diana,

I hope they run their course in my DT as well in the next few weeks I keep scrubbing the rock and gently disturbing the sand, but to no avail, the bubbles keep coming back. I added more Rowaphos hoping that it helps.

Not sure, but I wouldn't really scrub the rocks too much. I always believe a gently approach when it comes to rocks is better, like Diana her "turkey baster with a vengeance". This way you disturb the algae that grow on it, but not the beneficial things that grow in the rock or just on the outer layers of the rock. I used to use a toothbrush and scrub em clean almost every day cause I didn't want nasty algae. Now the spots where I did that often, still have no coralline algae. I cannot present you with any proof, but forming my own theory it seems that it's not so beneficial to scrub the rock unless really needed.