How long does candy cane take to grow a new polyp

usaywhatuwant

My tank has 5 corals. Montipora, pink birdsnest,eagle eye zoas,pulsing xenia and candy cane coral.all the corals are growing great and pretty fast. birds nest over double in size in the last three months. only thing is i would like more polyps on my candy cane and im curious how long it takes to make another? i feed them mysis and brine shrimp every couple of days and use phyto.the polyps that are there are growing nice and plump i just want more. any suggestions on how to encourage more to grow would be appreciated.

TrueReef

Candy Cane corals take a little longer to grow. Your other corals are fast growing, which is why it may seem to be growing slow. Just make sure there's enough light for them and they should be fine.

GlassMunky

One of my candy canes has a polyp that has been in the process of splitting for about a month now. it has two distinct poly mouths, but they are still fused at the bottom.

soco

Candy canes can take a while to start the budding process but once they do they will start to bust out. Make sure they have the right light and the make sure u leave them sitting still. I put mine on the bottom of the tank in the sand and havent touched them since. Now almost all of the polyps have split.

usaywhatuwant

Maybe thats my problem...i have been having an algae issue and from time to time i pick the algae off of the coral.problem is now getting better because i switched from store bought distilled to homade ro/di water. My light is a 250 watt mh with 2 24 watt actinics and my tank is a 29 gallon. i posted in a different thread about light and if it is overkill and or could cause algae issues? ne one have an answer to that would be great to hear input. i guess ill just have to keep from moving them and be patient. thanks for replies

soco

The 250 might be a little overkill but if you raise it a little it shouldnt be a problem. If the bulb is old it will cause algae blooms as well

usaywhatuwant

its about three inches above the water but im planning to make a canopy and move it to about 6-8 inches above. why does an old bulb cause algae blooms and how old? i have had mine about 4 months. i heard they should last about 8 months to a year depending on usage.

steved13

PREMIUM
One of my candy canes has a polyp that has been in the process of splitting for about a month now. it has two distinct poly mouths, but they are still fused at the bottom.

I have the same 1 polyp has had two mouths and been splitting for quite awhile now well over a month.

its about three inches above the water but im planning to make a canopy and move it to about 6-8 inches above. why does an old bulb cause algae blooms and how old? i have had mine about 4 months. i heard they should last about 8 months to a year depending on usage.

When bulbs age they change their color spectrum and can move into undesirable spectrums and encourage nuisance algaes.

usaywhatuwant

thanks for the info steved13 but do you know a good time frame to change the bulb cuz it made me a little more curious now that you say that.