How long does a ich treatment last

Basile

Hi , someone whats to give me a fish but it has ich. He's treating it, but i'm less that enthusiatic about taking a fish that has that problem. How long does this treatment last usually.

Its an adult yellow wrasse

I have a few questions as well;

- If he survive is he a carrier
- Should i QT that fish again before adding it to my tank
- Should i take him at all.
- Any other precautions or stuff i should know thanks.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well first off, make sure it is ich - wrasses are very good at resisting the disease so i'd confirm. Second, what kind of treatment is he/she giving the wrasse now? I believe most of them (don't quote me) don't do well in a copper treatment. I think hypo is the way to go and that can take weeks to do it the right way.

Frankly, unless its a prize specimen, i'd walk away.

Mike Johnson

If a fish is cured of ich it is cured until it gets infected again. They don't carry the disease. I'd QT anything for several weeks before putting in a DT.

Basile

Thanks guys , the guy doesn't want to give it to me with the ich; he wants to treat it himself before , so i don't get the trouble, so i should QT him anyway after he give it to me regardless right?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Absolutely QT it all over again. At the very least, keep it in QT for 8 weeks.
If it were me, I would let it rest for a week or two and then treat it myself as if it had ich/brooklynella. I've had both in my display so now I am extremely careful.