How deeply do clownfish sleep?

cindykz

Hi RS,

This is my first post and I know it sounds like a bizarre, philosophical question. I just brought home my very first additions, a pair of onyx clowns, 4 days ago. So far so good... Eating, pooping, swimming. Being fish. They are in quarantine and have had one transfer of tank transfer method for ich prophylaxis - no symptoms or anything.

I went in to check on them like any good worried new clown mom and they were vertical in opposite corners of their 10 gal QT (2 airstones running, no meds now, I added prime this morning to be safe, 78F and ammonia 0,pH 8.0). When I turned on the room lights they got a little more active but not much so I tried to see if they would be stimulated by my hand, the net, etc. I swear one almost let me bonk him in the nose with my finger! Do they really sleep this soundly? They haven't acted funny before now and nothing else seems to be wrong.

TIA,

Cindy

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

If I ever need to catch fish, it's while they sleep. Mine sleep pretty deep, when scooped out they really don't start flipping and flopping til a couple secs out of the water.

cindykz

If I ever need to catch fish, it's while they sleep. Mine sleep pretty deep, when scooped out they really don't start flipping and flopping til a couple secs out of the water.
Thanks for the reply and advice! I've been told that before too, I can see why now. You won't be surprised to hear that they are 100% fine this morning. I'm fact, they already seem to know that when I approach the tank, there might be food involved because they zoom straight to the top LOL: IMG_20160902_091256593.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Oxylebius

Some fish sleep laying on rocks or in holes, not moving at all. Other fish like your clowns and my clowns sleep while swimming all night long. Fish don't sleep like many land mammals. They do rest though. There is some research on it, looking at metabolism and brain activity. Did you know that some marine mammals (dolphins, etc.) shut down half their brain while they 'sleep'. They don't have full unconsciousness like land mammals do.