Hoodless Red Sea Max 130D?

Alan16ac

Anybody gone hoodless? Seriously thinking of upgrading to an LED unit and going hoodless... Anyone else done this or have any advice?

Land Rover

Just did mine. Put a radion xr15 on it using the tank mount. I added the InTank cover, which needed cutting a little to accommodate the light fixing. I then got a BRS DIY screen tank cover for it.

I would make sure you have a plan for mounting the led as I had a few moments there where I thought I would have to go back to the drawing board and get a hanging system.

The plastic rim and the use of plastic on the back can make things somewhat tricky to mount to it.

Corals seem to be loving the light change as the radion automatically lifts the intensity.

Land Rover

I have the tank mount on the back of the display tank. Had to remove the cover for the wire channel and play with the mount to get good contact with glass rather than plastic. The back back of the tank is plastic and doesn't make for a good hold.
If you have the skimmer in there, either stock of or the Tunze you may struggle for room to mount like that. I have an overflow going to a sump.

Overall, just be careful with how you plan to mount it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Land Rover :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
& thanks for sharing your ideas on going hoodless :thumbup:

I have seen several hoods removed on the RSM tanks for switching to LEDs....
I just gutted my hood & went with Steve's retrofit LEDs on my RSM 250. I have a CAT that would more than likely go swimming in the tank or swinging from the light fixture without the top on :yup:
I'm sure others will chime in soon with more ideas.

Land Rover

Hi Diana

I have the lifereef sump and fuge too. I think I have a mini version of your system.

I contemplated going with Steve's but I loved the geekiness factor of the radion and the apps and I also have a couple of MP10s pushing things around so being able to control them from my phone just seemed like fun.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am seriously considering going topless and putting a GHL Mitras over my tank. If I could sell my wife on the idea I would have already done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan16ac

Forgot about this thread. I'm ordering from a company here in the UK, that modifies chinese LEDs. They get some great reviews, full spectrum lights. Controllable from my iPhone or iPad which I like.
Would love to see some pics of hoodless RSMs if anyone has any. I planned on mounting on the rim of the tank, but the plastic could be an issue.

Here is a shot of mine from a couple months ago.

10330491_248309938711065_8697748942588345924_n.jpg

Alan16ac

Thanks. I've ordered a unit, and mounting bracket that sits on the tank rim. Not sure if it'll fit on the RSM though. I've ordered the inTank cover to hide the back too.

I don't run the skimmer, so I don't have much to hide in the back, otherwise i may have gotten that cover too. the pic above still has the skimmer in the tank, but i removed it shortly after i took off the lid as i have never used it anyways.

Quinn

Just did mine. Put a radion xr15 on it using the tank mount. I added the InTank cover, which needed cutting a little to accommodate the light fixing. I then got a BRS DIY screen tank cover for it.

I would make sure you have a plan for mounting the led as I had a few moments there where I thought I would have to go back to the drawing board and get a hanging system.

The plastic rim and the use of plastic on the back can make things somewhat tricky to mount to it.

Corals seem to be loving the light change as the radion automatically lifts the intensity.

Tank mount? Is that proprietary to the Radion? Thanks

Dana

I think it looks great! I just got one recently and check that useless protein skimmer out and built my own filtration system in the back. I know I'm a little late and this is an old tank, but it is beautiful and the person that had it before me take amazing care of it. I have seen the covers for the back to meters but I'm curious as to how to remove the rim?!