"HOMEMADE" FISH FOOD?

SaltNoob

Anyone out there have some ideas on supplementing my fish with simple store bought items?
My LFS is an hour trip and often don't have any food.

I'm hip to the nori and (possibly?) raw shrimp.

I have a yellow tang, 2 baby clowns, a PJ cardinal, a damsel (?) And 3 little Chromis'.

DaveK

Almost anything raw you can get at the seafood counter in your grocery store can be used. Crab works well, but it's expensive. Shrimp is good too. So are clams, and oysters. You can also use most white type fish.

You can mix them up together or keep them separate. I found it's best to make a batch at a time, and freeze it. A small food processor helps a lot with the chopping.

SaltNoob

Thanks guys.
I'm an avid fisherman and routinely "make bait" by jigging.
Locally, I get anchovies, Bonita's, pompano, ronkies(white croaker), jacksmelt, sardines, etc.
Could I make my own food from these fresh caught fish? Possibly freeze and throw whole into a food processor?
Thoughts?

Last edited:

cracker

Hey salt. Your idea of using fresh caught fish is what I do. I like to keep each differing type in separate containers and shave,finely chop or even use the micro plainer,soak in a little ro water and feed. I use the whole fish ,inards and all! Concerning introducing parasite,I "hope" freezing 1st will take them out. Hey catching your own fish and coral food may not be less expensive, considering fuel and bait and beers etc usual for a day's fishing, but a lot more fun! Hey where is South Cali are You? I have family in and spent some time in SD.

SaltNoob

Hey salt. Your idea of using fresh caught fish is what I do. I like to keep each differing type in separate containers and shave,finely chop or even use the micro plainer,soak in a little ro water and feed. I use the whole fish ,inards and all! Concerning introducing parasite,I "hope" freezing 1st will take them out. Hey catching your own fish and coral food may not be less expensive, considering fuel and bait and beers etc usual for a day's fishing, but a lot more fun! Hey where is South Cali are You? I have family in and spent some time in SD.
I'm currently in Ventura County. Although I've spent ample time throughout the Southland. SD is one of my favorite spots. I've got family there also. I don't get down there as often as I should, but still make it about 2-3 times a year.
A micro plainer like for wood?

cracker

Hey salt, Haven't made it back to Mission or Ocean beach in 10 years plus I'm jealous!
As for a micro plainer, I mean something like a fine cheese grater or something to strip some lime zest maybe. You can "custom size" the food depending on Your fish or corals wishes.

SaltNoob

Hey salt, Haven't made it back to Mission or Ocean beach in 10 years plus I'm jealous!
As for a micro plainer, I mean something like a fine cheese grater or something to strip some lime zest maybe. You can "custom size" the food depending on Your fish or corals wishes.
It's still the same down there. Pricey "cold" beer. Bad pizza, chicks too young for us and tourists. LoL.

When you chop your own, do you make a large batch and freeze into a block? Large block, small block? Any idea how long it "keeps"? Can I add some nori to the mix?

Thanks for your input, Crack.

Paul B

I feed clams every day. I buy them live for about 35 cents and freeze them, then shave off paper thin slices. All of my paired fish are spawning including the 24 year olds. the tank is running 44 years and clams have been fed almost every day.

SaltNoob

I feed clams every day. I buy them live for about 35 cents and freeze them, then shave off paper thin slices. All of my paired fish are spawning including the 24 year olds. the tank is running 44 years and clams have been fed almost every day.
NICE!

cracker

Hey salt give me a chance to stop laughing and I'll respond! Man I can handle the pricey beers and lousy food on the boardwalk, but Please don't say we are too old for the girls! LOL That's ok , I had my run and it was a lot of fun.
Paul has the right idea. Freshly frozen natural stuff from the sea! Now this is my own Opinion and I 'm no expert. I personally make ,enough for a day or two max. I try to mix it up and offer different stuff. I soak/rinse it in ro water You can easily add nori to the mix. When it cools down a bit this fall, I will start fishing again. I plan to add the fish innards to the mix, heart,liver row etc. Now Paul has some interesting ideas about feeding the digestive tract and immunity against disease I like the fact he has the tract record to back it up.

SaltNoob

So I just made my first batch of food and the fish seem impressed. A few larger chunks were left behind but Hermans Hermits are ALL over that.
I also dropped some nori and everyone is doing the happy dance now.

Paul B

Out of those foods, the mussels are the best. You could forget the octo, squid and shrimp.

SaltNoob

Out of those foods, the mussels are the best. You could forget the octo, squid and shrimp.
Thanks for the info Paul!
While the mussel is the best, there shouldn't be any ill effects from the octo, squid et al. should there?