homemade fish food

BigJay

well since I'm making target feeders I've taken a bigger interest in what foods are available for the tank and I finally decided to make my own fish food for now on. That is kind of not 100% true as I am adding cyclops and mysis available in fish stores to my mix. I'm just rinsing it extremely well before folding it into my mix.
So something that has me saying hmm. As my mix is very white and looks like something you'd eat like in ceviche. Why are commercial fish foods so dark? Whats being added that I'm not besides perservitives? It got me wondering what parts of the fish are being added that I see listed in the ingredients list. When it says fish for instance it doesn't say the fillet. I'm not knocking any of these pre made fish foods at all. I've obviously used them for many years with good results.
Heres what I made up last night.. please critique it if you know I left something out. I did leave out macros this go around since my tank has many of those macros in great quantity growing.
this will also be my coral food.

1. 2 Tilapia fillets
2. 2 oysters
3. 2 wild caught cherrywood ocean clams
4. 2 large scallops
5. 5 florida gulf shrimp
6. 7 cubes each mysis/cyclops
7. 2 to 3 tablespoons mullet roe
8. 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
9. 2 teaspoons selcon

This made up enough food for about 3 months for my 90g +6g system. I had originally planned on adding macros and some carrot juice but decided not to at the last moment. For one my corals eat macros at least once a week. I always walk passed and see a macro sticking out of a corals mouth and the fish get to nibble on them all day so I just felt it wasn't that important.
opinions and critiques are welcome.

lcstorc

First I would be sure to read Lee's article on fish nutrition I know one of the things he stresses is whole foods that come from the ocean. To me this would mean the guts and everything not just the fillet. When I made a batch some time ago I used fish filet and Lee told me it was not necessary. As far as the color, I think it is partially the guts and stuff, but in my case it was the Cyclopeze I added. That made the entire mix a red/orange color.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...eeding-marine-fish-marine-fish-nutrition.html

BigJay

thanks Lynn going to read it now. I'm trying to give my fish a healthier food and don't want to find out in my attempt I am actually depriving them. I know the coloration of my fish from the frozen I have been using is excellent.

BigJay

that was really great information . I wasn't too far off in my mix but I do see I need to add a vitamen. Maybe the next mix I'll add some type of whole small fish to the mix.