HOB filter/Refugium

deaclauderdale

I saw at my LFS today a converted Aquaclear HOB filter. It was converted into a refugium. Has anyone ever heard of this? I plan on trying to convert mine into one and if not succesful I will purchase one from the LFS.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
That can be quite successful, cheato will benefit from the light and nutrients of the display, just be mindfull of floods. Steve

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have seen them before, the HOB's are nice, generally plug and play. I however prefer a seperate fuge made out of a tank, it increases the water volume and gives you a place to put the skimmer, heater etc.

BoomerD

I'm gonna use this one on my QT tank.

Why would you want to use a fuge on your QT? Should you have to medicate, all the life in the fuge will die anyway...pods, worms, etc...
Better to just use a simple HOB filter and/or a Bak-Pak with the bio-bale for filtration.

LOTS of nano-reefers are using the Aqua-Clear 500 (or it's current name??) for a refugium. Most replace the impeller with the one from the AC 150 or 300 to slow the flow way down, which allows the fuge to work better. Some other mods IIRC to make them work better, but not sure what all they do...pretty dammed innovative IMO.

deaclauderdale

Why would you want to use a fuge on your QT? Should you have to medicate, all the life in the fuge will die anyway...pods, worms, etc...
Better to just use a simple HOB filter and/or a Bak-Pak with the bio-bale for filtration.

LOTS of nano-reefers are using the Aqua-Clear 500 (or it's current name??) for a refugium. Most replace the impeller with the one from the AC 150 or 300 to slow the flow way down, which allows the fuge to work better. Some other mods IIRC to make them work better, but not sure what all they do...pretty dammed innovative IMO.

The only reason that I am even considering doing this is because of the new organic treatments that are coming out that are garunteed not to harm the bio load. Believe me when I say that I will do some thorough research into this matter as is the custom of RS participants, but I would like to have something that will truly help to keep down the trates, trites, phos, etc in the QT which I believe will make for better maintanence and a more suitable environment for any livestock thta have to riside there.

deaclauderdale

btw...RS has a great search feature, it is located on the bar at the top of the page, right under your login name[/QUOTE]

For future refrence how would I use it? Is it just type in what I'm thinking like google?

And thanx a million for the link I am going to do this real soon, but first I must figure out a way to tell the misses why I'm getting rid of the perfectly good HOB I currently have...lol

lcstorc

Yes just type in what you are looking for. There also is an advanced search function that allows you to be more specific and narrow down the list of threads you get in the results. Usually I try the basic search first but if I get a lot of threads then I go to the advanced feature and look at titles only to narrow down the results.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow great diy you found there bigal. 4.5 gal hang on the back refugium is no slouch thats for sure.

If I can come up with all the parts I may try to make a scaled down one for my 10g this weekend if I don't come up with a AC HOB unit that can be "modified" to this before hand.

Allen :)

mps9506

Who needs a fuge??? :D
DSC00483.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Holy Cow Bat Man! No wonder they don't have any locally! mps9506 got a whole truck load all for himself! How much are you selling them for?

A :)

mps9506

lol, I work for Hagen. You don't want those aquaclears, they were damaged in shipping and I had to pick them up from a very angry dealer.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
lol, I work for Hagen. You don't want those aquaclears, they were damaged in shipping and I had to pick them up from a very angry dealer.

Sounds like someone's headed to the local trash drop-off soon to get rid of a bunch of stuff! :lol: Man that's a shame! No telling what kind of WILD & Custom things you can make with all those spare parts but I would imagine the company expects them to NOT get into circulation! If a "bad" one were to get out and then some goof ball tries to warranty it then you're "tail fins in the ringer"! I'd make sure they are CRUSHED and SHATTERED myself Bro!!

gotta admit that was an interesting picture. My first thought was...

He's robbed a fish store!

PNW Reefer

While searching this forum I also ran across a very nice article about HOB Refuge. Give it a look.. I might try this over the weekend myself :)

Refugium Setup

Did you ever end up trying this? And if so, how did it work? Kind of contemplating putting something small on my 30 gal so I can grow pods and such to eventually get a mandarin.

DaveK

Did you ever end up trying this? And if so, how did it work? Kind of contemplating putting something small on my 30 gal so I can grow pods and such to eventually get a mandarin.

This is a 10 year old thread, so you may not get much of a response from the OP.

As for the small refugiums made from a hang on tank filter, they are really too small to do very much good. It's more a "feel good" project.

If you want a refugium that's going to actually do something, build one out of another tank, like a 5 or 10 gal tank. I would avoid the large hang on the tank refugiums that hold 5 gal of water or so because of the weight issues.

If you do plan on a mandarin, a 30 gal tank is a little small, but it might work. Make sure there are no other fish in there that will out compete the mandarin for pods. Fish like wrasses come to mind.