Highly's Red Sea Max 400 Mixed Reef

Highlyagaming

Ok so I got the new red sea reef led 90 and man what a difference if colour. Now I am strongly contemplating removing the long Chinese led i have and using this unit in the center even if my tank requires two. Its just such a massive change I just dnt know what to do its gnna be about 5 months till I can afford a second unit arrggg any advice?

Nobbygas

Ok so I got the new red sea reef led 90 and man what a difference if colour. Now I am strongly contemplating removing the long Chinese led i have and using this unit in the center even if my tank requires two. Its just such a massive change I just dnt know what to do its gnna be about 5 months till I can afford a second unit arrggg any advice?
You could look at someone like Charterhouse Aquatics, who offer interest free on over 300 quid spent? Thereby paying it off bit by bit instead of saving up for one lump sum?

Highlyagaming

Yeah thats where i got mine, sadly that deal is inly for uk residents and not off shore uk

im using one for now, not half bad and this is before i set my schedule up so its really blue.

Attachments

• 804CA978-B833-43A7-974C-329E7854F70A.jpeg
    804CA978-B833-43A7-974C-329E7854F70A.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 7
  • E817EB67-A24B-4C6C-BBF0-ADC5A533A176.jpeg
    E817EB67-A24B-4C6C-BBF0-ADC5A533A176.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 7

Highlyagaming

Good to read you again, the torch looks awesome.
Hey Pancho, thanks for the welcome back. Was a bit overwhelmed with few things happening IRL that I completely forgot about updating my thread, been reading up on all the others and I am very sorry to hear about your CBB that truly sux.

The torch is currently doing awesome, its the longest time Ive ever been able to keep my LPS alive so I am guessing something is going right in the tank lmao. Finally got to the parameters I want with the Aquaforest range doing an ULNS just waiting for my balling components to arrive so I can setup my dosing pump.

Highlyagaming

Ok so after a year of having this second hand tank my wife now decides to pester me saying its to bulky. I have to agree with her as its already huge plus the 15cm gap it requires to be from the wall adds to that. So now here comes the beginning of my head ache which I need advice for, I have looked at possibly getting the reefer xl 425 which is longer length wise but narrower in depth and smaller in height plus it would be put right up against the wall saving more space.

Now problem number one is, the plumbing would have to be redone to be able to fit the chiller I currently have im my current system. Second problem would be going through the whole cycle again now that my tank is super stable.....

Problem three is having to sell all my corals/rock/fish and tank before getting the new one...

should i replace my max 400 for the reefer xl 425 or do you folks think another option would be better ?

SPR

Ok so after a year of having this second hand tank my wife now decides to pester me saying its to bulky. I have to agree with her as its already huge plus the 15cm gap it requires to be from the wall adds to that. So now here comes the beginning of my head ache which I need advice for, I have looked at possibly getting the reefer xl 425 which is longer length wise but narrower in depth and smaller in height plus it would be put right up against the wall saving more space.

Now problem number one is, the plumbing would have to be redone to be able to fit the chiller I currently have im my current system. Second problem would be going through the whole cycle again now that my tank is super stable.....

Problem three is having to sell all my corals/rock/fish and tank before getting the new one...

should i replace my max 400 for the reefer xl 425 or do you folks think another option would be better ?
Why don’t you get one custom build to the exact size and specification you need.

That’s what I did when I went larger and you get it exactly how you want it rather than off the peg

Another alternative is add a gate valve to the down pipe inside the cabinet, make that stupid rear valve obsolete (wide open) and then you can push the tank right back to the wall

You don’t have to go through a cycle. Add a bottle of ATM Colony and put your fish straight in. Done.

Last edited:

Highlyagaming

Thats true could always go with changing the valve that some how skipped my mind. Ill have a look at custom built one to prob is I think its way more expensive locally than a prebuilt one. ‍♂️

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Thats true could always go with changing the valve that some how skipped my mind. Ill have a look at custom built one to prob is I think its way more expensive locally than a prebuilt one. ‍♂️
All you need to do is open the rear valve fully, cut the downpipe in the cabinet and insert a gate valve, its relatively simple.

Highlyagaming

All you need to do is open the rear valve fully, cut the downpipe in the cabinet and insert a gate valve, its relatively simple.

thanks bud ill Have a look at how much space that saves me and see what I decide. Im just seeing a lot of work if I get the new tank, aside from starting fresh id have to redo the plumbing to fit the chiller plus cut the back of the cabinet to allow the chiller to vent the hot air out.

Nobbygas

I am having similar thoughts. Do I replace my S-650 with a Penninsular Red Sea tank. She Who Casts No Shadow wants the tank to be somewhere else in the Living Room. Pros and cons:-

Pros.
I would get newer lights. Replacing the HD 26's with ReefLED 90's.
I could plumb my Chiller to vent directly outside as the new location is against an external wall. That will cost though.
I get a newer tank. The current S-650 is four years old in December.
Better Sump layout.

Cons.
The S-650 has a fantastic aluminium frame. The others don't.
Wavemakers either inside the tank, or stuck on the outside.
No lighting assembly looks as good as the one on the S-650.
I like the small pelmet around the top of the S Series tanks. In the open top reefers etc you have to continuously clean the glass around there.
Smaller ATO capacity.
The S Series is the Red Sea flagship range. Anything else can be considered as a downgrade?
I would like a tank with more volume but the largest Red Sea Pen tank is 650l.

Should I go with a custom build? If I do this change then I would want the tank to be a minimum of 750l

Highlyagaming

I am having similar thoughts. Do I replace my S-650 with a Penninsular Red Sea tank. She Who Casts No Shadow wants the tank to be somewhere else in the Living Room. Pros and cons:-

Pros.
I would get newer lights. Replacing the HD 26's with ReefLED 90's.
I could plumb my Chiller to vent directly outside as the new location is against an external wall. That will cost though.
I get a newer tank. The current S-650 is four years old in December.
Better Sump layout.

Cons.
The S-650 has a fantastic aluminium frame. The others don't.
Wavemakers either inside the tank, or stuck on the outside.
No lighting assembly looks as good as the one on the S-650.
I like the small pelmet around the top of the S Series tanks. In the open top reefers etc you have to continuously clean the glass around there.
Smaller ATO capacity.
The S Series is the Red Sea flagship range. Anything else can be considered as a downgrade?
I would like a tank with more volume but the largest Red Sea Pen tank is 650l.

Should I go with a custom build? If I do this change then I would want the tank to be a minimum of 750l

very similar issues to me, I quite like the aluminium frame and the cable management system the S mas series brings. However I found the rear circulation pumps to noisy and not configurable enough with regards to directing the flow so I opted for two jebao controlled wavemakers to make that wave effect in the tank.

Been thinking of going down the custom made tank route but the local guy that does em does the cabinet in a coloured plexi glass and I dont like the look of it in my living room.

Man this is hard lol

Highlyagaming

So its happened i put the tank for sale and within 4hrs it was sold, such a sad day to be getting rid of my tank. But hey now ill be for the first time ever getting a brand spanking new tank fresh from the store woho. So ive decided what I will be getting an here is the list tell me what you folks think.

Red sea reefer Xl 425
Red Sea 600 Skimmer
2x Red Sea Reef Led90's
2x Red Sea Reefwave 25's
Tmc reef connect 7000
D-D wifi dosing pump
Bubble magus mini 70 reactor
Fluval e series heater
Chiller from my old RSM 400s tank

SPR

That’s very exciting, been there..... lol

Just review each piece of equipment and check them out to make sure it’s what you want while your planning the build, well unless you’ve placed the order already!

Planning can make all the difference and I would also recommend some form of auto water change system if you can fit one somewhere, it makes the hobby so much easier.

Nobbygas

So its happened i put the tank for sale and within 4hrs it was sold, such a sad day to be getting rid of my tank. But hey now ill be for the first time ever getting a brand spanking new tank fresh from the store woho. So ive decided what I will be getting an here is the list tell me what you folks think.

Red sea reefer Xl 425
Red Sea 600 Skimmer
2x Red Sea Reef Led90's
2x Red Sea Reefwave 25's
Tmc reef connect 7000
D-D wifi dosing pump
Bubble magus mini 70 reactor
Fluval e series heater
Chiller from my old RSM 400s tank
Exciting news :) As Shaun has said, just remember the seven "P's". Proper Planning & Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance !

Highlyagaming

Yeah super excited, went today to pay for the deposit and get the tank ordered. So locked down a few things now, defo going with the reefer xl 425 dual RS reef LED 90 & dual RS reefwave 25’s.

Now Ive been thinking over the return pump and I am thinking of spending a little more money and either getting the reef octopus Vaios 6 or the neptune cor 20 not sure which of the two tho as I doubt ill be able to afford the apex system any time soon after buying a new tank lmao.

Now doser wise imma go with the D-D 4 pro version for the extra £50 seems worth it, along with the kessil H80 For the fuge.

That would make an awesome build I think, what you folks think?

Reactions: SPR