hi everybody!! newbie guy here :-)

kenshin himura

hi to all,

Im a total newbie to saltwater, i join here because im about to setup a 37gal (30x12x22) reef tank (soft corals, i got the tank/stand, light and a reef octopus bh100 hang on back protein skimmer.

I bought the skimmer used being a newbie i dont know what parts are missing and i found out that this is missing ( elbow and the strainer )
http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-classic-100-venturi-intake-basket
Just wondering if i can diy the missing piece with pvc or can i run the skimmer without it?

here is a pic of my skimmer,

Attachments

• IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 13

DaveK

This part supplies air to the skimmer, so the pump can mix the air and water to get those fine bubbles. It also sees to have a surface skimmer option, and that's a good thing in a reef.

If you can see an actual part first, you could likely make the missing part out of plumbing supply parts. You could also check websites looking for replacement part.

Sometimes these parts have some tricky methods of removing them. Be careful, you don't want to break your skimmer.

kenshin himura

And one more question is this normal? There are micro bubbles coming from the side of the motor near the Venturi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7

Oxylebius

Hello! Hopefully someone else will be able to address your questions, I'm not much of a DIY-er, but did want to help give you a :bump:so that your thread pops up at the top of the list of new posts. Someone else should be able to address your questions shortly.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

index.php

kenshin himura

Thanks!! :bounce: yup ill post some pics after i address some issues with the skimmer i bought, if anyone out there that know the reef octopus BH100 need some :help: !!!

two issues bugging me with my RO bh100, since we dont use skimmer in my planted tanks i have no idea about it but i pretty much have an idea how in work.

first: when i plug it there are micro bubbles coming out from the side of the motor near the venturi,is that normal or the motor is damage?

Second: It has a surface skimmer included, mine is missing, i look it up and its $25. Can i just go to lowes and diy it out of pvc?
http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-classic-100-venturi-intake-basket-808

Third: since my skimmer doesn't have a surface skimmer, this is what it looks like
do you put a sponge in it?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• MB3.JPG
    MB3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1