Hi all. New to the hobby have a question about the lighting in the RSM 130c

kryoz88

So the RSM 130c comes with 50/50 55w PC bulbs. I visited my LFS, he advised me to go with one 50/50 bulb and one 100% blue bulb. For the life of me I cant find any place that sells them. Anyone know of any place?

Thanks!

sirrealism

Welcome to RS. Lots of great people here to help you. Sorry i dont have an RSM but I am sure there will be someone here to help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Not sure where you can purchase the bulb, but can tell you lots of RS members of the RSM Club run the stock bulbs & have great success with them !

reefer gladness

Get familiar with the concept of color temperature if not already. Stock RSM lighting with 50/50's is about 10k. When you're looking at corals photographed online at places like LiveAquaria they typically use 20k metal halide which is much bluer but the actinic spectrum makes the colors in a lot of corals really pop.

It's important to consider this as the appearance of certain corals as photographed online or seen at your LFS may look much different when you get them home. I've had corals that looked brown color under 10k for example but the same coral is almost neon orange under actinic lighting. Which appeals to you is a matter of personal choice.

Yes, with all other factors being equal corals will generally grow faster under a 10k spectrum than a 20k. Personally I find corals grow plenty fast enough under an actinic 20k spectrum. My 2 cents, choose the color temp that appeals to you personally and forget about growth rates unless you're going into business to farm corals.

kryoz88

I definitely prefer a 20k halide, but I dont think the RSM 130 has an upgrade for that. From what I've researched, it seems I'm stuck with the stock lights for now.