hey guys im new here and I have an aptasia invasion

Just joined the forum I dont know what im doing yet lol
Anyway, I recently started a fowlr tank been running about a month.
Today I added fish and they seem fine the only problem im having is there is aptasia everywhere
I just wanted to know how I should go about removing the aptasia or should I just let it be.

jkef2010

Don't try to rip it off or even touch it if you so it will release even more eggs or what ever offspring when you touch it. I've been told a few ways. You can either A) Go to a LFS and buy Aptasia X and follow the instructions and squirt it right into the mouth of the vermin ( center whole) Or B) Take boiling RO-DI water and squirt it right into the Whole I've also been told a paste works but I can't recall what the paste consisted of. Hope this helps

R1junkie

peppermint shrimp, some fish and a certain kind of snail i dont remember off the top of my head eat them too

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ditto on the peppermint shrimp. The fish would be filefish or copper band butterflyfish. I think the snail he mentioned is actually a berghia nudibranch. If you don't plan on having coral, there's not a pressing need to get rid of it.

Ditto on the peppermint shrimp. The fish would be filefish or copper band butterflyfish. I think the snail he mentioned is actually a berghia nudibranch. If you don't plan on having coral, there's not a pressing need to get rid of it.

Thanks for the replies, I don't know if I will plan on having corals or not, being that I just started the tank and I hear that corals are not for new tanks, but I do like butterfly fish I was planning on adding a raccoon butterfly fish or pearlyscale butterfly, but no store around me has one right now. Would either one of the 2 I mentioned take care of it or do I need a copper band species if one of the others would work which one would that be?

jerry26

Don't try to rip it off or even touch it if you so it will release even more eggs or what ever offspring when you touch it. I've been told a few ways. You can either A) Go to a LFS and buy Aptasia X and follow the instructions and squirt it right into the mouth of the vermin ( center whole) Or B) Take boiling RO-DI water and squirt it right into the Whole I've also been told a paste works but I can't recall what the paste consisted of. Hope this helps

kalkwasser paste.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Oxylebius

A few articles that mention all the different options that you can take to control aiptasia:
Aiptasia Removal - What's Your Preferred Method? — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
Aiptasia Pests - Getting Rid of Glass Anemones - many critters (fish, crabs, nudis, shrimp) listed here that may control it for you
How to Control Aiptasia Anemone

I prefer the pep shrimp option, but for the very large aiptasia I've had to resort to Aiptasia-x (and sometimes you may have to apply several times to the same lrg anemone), this will bleach your coralline algae and kill any coral polyps, so be careful when applying to not get it on any of your corals, otherwise it is safe for your tank. It will take time to get rid of them, and you may find one or two that missed your notice at first (behind rocks, etc.), be patient, eventually you will get them under control.

I prefer the pep shrimp option, but for the very large aiptasia I've had to resort to Aiptasia-x (and sometimes you may have to apply several times to the same lrg anemone), this will bleach your coralline algae and kill any coral polyps, so be careful when applying to not get it on any of your corals, otherwise it is safe for your tank. It will take time to get rid of them, and you may find one or two that missed your notice at first (behind rocks, etc.), be patient, eventually you will get them under control.[/QUOTE]

Hey I tried clicking on the links you provided and I couldn't get any of them to work.
I dont think shrimp would be a good idea for me because I have a bi-colored angel, and iv been told shrimps are on their menu.
Im very scared of any chemicals because I had ich in a freshwater tank once then bought medication and that killed every fish in the tank. So I think a butterfly would be the way for me to go
But can I expect bad things if I put a butterfly and an angel in the same tank?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Here one way to kill them... invented by RS member Paul B

Majano Wand Aiptasia & Majano Eliminator

Oxylebius

Not sure why the links didn't work. This link provided this info: Aiptasia Pests - Getting Rid of Glass Anemones
Not sure if all the critters linked will eat aiptasia, but this website seems to think so.

Most folks have had some luck w/ pep shrimp and the copperband butterfly.
Also, it seems that Kalk, lemon juice, boiling water, and Aiptasia-x work as well.

Sea Anemone Predators

Butterflyfish:
A number of Butterfly fish are known to eat aiptasia. At first take this many seem great, but it may not really work our. There are a number of other factors besides glass anemones that must be considered before adding a Butterflyfish to an aquarium. Be sure to research the Butterflyfish you are considering for diet, environment, and ease of care.

Some Butterflyfish are very difficult to keep, requiring an experienced aquarist. Some can be kept in a saltwater fish aquarium, but must be used more carefully in a reef environment as they may snack on various corals, zoanthids and star polyps, and even feather dusters.

Some Butterflyfish species known to eat Aiptasia include:
Klein's Butterflyfish Chaetodon kleinii
Raccoon Butterflyfish Chaetodon lunula
Copperband Butterflyfish Chelmon rostratus
Saddled Butterflyfish Chaetodon ephippium
Threadfin Butterflyfish Chaetodon auriga
Hawaiian Butterflyfish Chaetodon tinkeri
Banded Butterflyfish Chaetodon striatus

Filefish:
The Bristle-tail Filefish Acreichthys tomentosus has also been reported to snack on aiptasia anemones. Though it is said to be reef safe, most filefish are not, so use it with caution

Pufferfish:
Puffers are sometimes known to eat Aiptasia, but they are another saltwater fish that you need to research before putting it in a reef tank. Though they primarily eat fish, they will also snack on a variety of invertebrates. Some Pufferfish that may eat Glass Anemones include:
Guinea Fowl Puffer Arothron meleagris is said to eat aiptasia, but because of its large size is not suitable for many mini reefs.
Sharpnosed Puffer Canthigaster solandri is a smaller puffer, so could be a good candidate for the reef tank.

Brackish Water Fish:
Scats in the genus Scatophagidae are brackish water fish that will readily consume Aiptasia Anemones as part of a varied diet.
Spotted Scat Scatophagus argus are quite hardy and can be acclimated successfully to both fresh water and saltwater aquariums.

Coral:
The Elegance Coral Catalaphyllia jardinei is known to have a sting that will kill Aiptasia anemones.

Nudibranch:
Several Nudibranch species can be used to eliminate Aiptasia. Nudibranch are known to have often have a very dedicated dietary preference. Those that will eat Aiptasia will usually leave other things alone.

Nudibranch Berghia - Aeolidiella stephanieae is a nudibranch from the Florida Keys region of the west Atlantic Ocean. It is a great choice because it feeds only on Aiptasia anemones. But though it is helpful to rid a reef tank of these pest anemones, once this nocturnal sea slug's food source is eliminated it will starve unless it is moved to another tank with aiptasia.

Its common name, Nidubranch Berghia, is derived from this sea slug originally being published as being the reef friendly Berghia verrucicornis, which is found in the Mediterranean. Though the scientific name has been corrected, the common name will most likely be retained in the aquairum industry, as it has become quite well established.

Spurilla neapolitana and Baeolidia nodosa are a couple other Nudibranchs that may also be effective at eliminating aiptasia pests, but they may not be readily available.

Crabs:
White Spotted Hermit Crab Dardanus megistos, also called the Red-legged Hermit Crab or the Scarlet Hermit Crab is popular for reef tanks. It is believed that it may also snack on Aiptasia anemones, but how effective it is at eliminating these pest anemones has not yet been determined.

Shrimps:
There are some small shrimps that will eat Aiptasia. However, shrimp are another group that you need to research before putting them in a reef tank. Many small shrimp will snack on a variety of invertebrates and corals as well as Aiptasia.
Peppermint Shrimp Lysmata wurdemanni - Be careful with these. They will consume Aiptasia anemones, but are also known to snack on Yellow Polyps, the small polyp sceleractinians. This shrimp has a transparent reddish body marked with red horizontal lines and will reach about 2 1/2 inches (6 cm).

Hingeback Shrimp or Dancing Shrimp Rhynchocinetes durbanensis as well as other Rhynchocinetidae sp. are some others to be careful with. These species will also eat Aiptasia anemones, but because they will definitely snack on corals, they are not at all suitable for a reef tank.

Chemical and Physical Aiptasia Control

Regular and time consuming manual removal is often required so that an aquarium is not overrun by dense populations of Aiptasia. Manual approaches include physical types of removal as well as chemical approaches. There are a some problems with both chemicals and physical methods of control. For example, the Aiptasia Genus can, quick as a whip, retract into its hole or crevice if it feels threatened. This makes it hard to sneak up on to inject any of the various "cures" that people have come up with.

Physical Removal: CAUTION - be very careful in attempting to remove Aiptasia anemones physically. It cannot be done by scraping them off rock, chopping them up, or crushing them. This is because even a tiny piece of an aiptasia can quickly grow into a new full sized anemone. Tearing or breaking them up only serves to help them multiply much more quickly.

Manufactured chemicals: There are a number of approaches using manufactured products as well as household methods that don't create a population explosion like physical removal can. Using chemicals generally involves taking a toxic liquid or paste and placing it onto or into the mouth of individual anemones, which the anemone then ingests. Be careful when using any sort of chemical. Some chemicals can be caustic and some can quickly change the aquarium pH.

There are several manufactured chemicals, usually they are lime and calcium chemical mixes, that are specifically designed to target and kill these anemones. There is not a lot of information about their effectiveness, but they are said to be reef safe products.

Some manufactured chemicals include:
Red Sea Aiptasia-X
Blue Life Aiptasia Control
Joe's Juice
Chem-Marin Stop-Aiptasia
Aptasia-Away™
Tropic Marin Elimi Aiptas

Household Methods:
Household products people are said to have used like vinegar, liquid calcium supplements, and kitchen lye, should be used very cautiously, each has issues to be considered. Chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide, hydrochloride acid, or copper compounds should not be used.

Some Household products include:
Epoxy Method: Take a two part epoxy and use it to seal Aiptasia into the rock where they live. This will be effective as as long as there is no escape route.
Sea Salt Method: Sea salt, made into a slush and deposited directly on the anemone with a syringe, is said to cause immediate death. The salt can also be squirted into the cracks and holes where anemones have retracted.
Lemon juice: Lemon juice can be effective, but only on small specimens. But use with caution as it will have an affect on the tank's pH,
Lime/kalkwasser mix: Lime/kalkwasser mix consists of two parts water and one part calcium hydroxide. Use care when handling this mix as it is highly caustic. Once taken into the Aiptasia's mouth, within a few minutes the anemone will begin to dissolve and can then be easily removed.
Very hot limewater and Boiling water: Injecting Aiptasia with boiling water or hot limewater has been said to eradicate them. Hot limewater squirted on an anemone is described as preventing it from withdrawing so that it can then be injected with either boiling water or hot limewater.
Kalkwasser paste and boiling water: Make a Kalk paste and administer topically to the anemone rather than through injection. A paste made with pickling lime and water, mixed to the consistency of toothpaste is administered directly onto the anemones. You will want to monitor the tank's pH with this method.

Author: Clarice Brough, CFS (Aiptasia Pests - Getting Rid of Glass Anemones)