Hermit crabs in the refugium/tank

fishhead

And by the way, how do you all feel about hemit crabs in the reef and/or fuge. I am thinking of removing all hermies from the fuge, as nothing large gets in there and the snails clean pretty good. Any thoughts here? In fact, they seem to be getting to be a nuicence in my display tank as well. It sees when they get a certain size, they've gotta go. Just haven't got this figured out yet....none at all? hmmm. I have plenty of brittle stars and serpent stars ans little pop-up everywhere stars and snails and pods. Is there really even a NEEDS for hermit crabs in the reef other than spreading coraline algae spores?:guns:

Last edited:

lcstorc

IMO there is no need for them. Other critters in the cleanup crew do just as good of a job without as much risk of eating something you want to keep.

deaclauderdale

Scarlet hermits are reported to be reefsafe (staying a herbivore), and I've just added some crabs back inot my main display. If you keep the numbers low they shouldn't casue to much trouble. IMO

fishhead

Scarlet hermits are reported to be reefsafe (staying a herbivore), and I've just added some crabs back inot my main display. If you keep the numbers low they shouldn't casue to much trouble. IMO

Reef safe or not, it seems if they get big enough they start to knock frags around, oh, on accident I'm sure.

corrado007

Seriously, they can be a real pain. I've got some scarlets and they are small enough and don't seem to do any damage but I've got this regular hermit crab that my wife calls Gigantor, he's outgrown one shell and moved into this giant spiked shell. He knocks frags down all the time. I've had him for some time now and we're pretty attached to him but I'm going to have to get rid of him. Too bad but the frags win.
Gigantorthecraab.jpg

prow

i agree with above on the no need for hermits. in the refugium i want my pods and such to pig out and multiply, i dont want anything eating their food and them too, nope its pod city in the refugium, couple snails sometimes hang down ther for a little while. for hermits in the main tank, for me na, just na. one thing about them is they eat pretty much anything and do like coralline. if there are many coralline may never grow. not that, thats a bad thing, unless you like coralline.

fishhead

Seriously, they can be a real pain. I've got some scarlets and they are small enough and don't seem to do any damage but I've got this regular hermit crab that my wife calls Gigantor, he's outgrown one shell and moved into this giant spiked shell. He knocks frags down all the time. I've had him for some time now and we're pretty attached to him but I'm going to have to get rid of him. Too bad but the frags win.
Gigantorthecraab.jpg

Put him in a little sump!?