Help

Coffey

Any idea why this might happen? Ribbon like pieces just falling off. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 10

DaveK

Usually this means your gregorian is dieing. It's caused be the polyps not doing well. Often this can be because of damage during shipping, and sometimes because something attacked it or ate it. Often buttterflys or angels will chow down on them.

You didn't tell us anything about your system, so it's really hard to go beyond any thing but general ideas.

If you have good water quality and the damage was shipping, this may stop on it's own. However, a lot of times it's fatal to the gregorian. These are not the easiest corals to keep.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Coffey

Thanks for the reply! I have a 45 gallon tank about 6 months old, the water chemistry has been good except I had a cyanobacteria outbreak and treated it with Chemiclean. I also have a red tile starfish that has lost most of 4 appendages... The gregorian is looking pretty good after it stopped shedding. I now know that I should not have purchased the starfish or gregorian but I am new to this and got excited. Those places will sell you anything.

DaveK

I also don't recommend treating with Chemiclean or other Red Slime remover products. If you haven't made some large partial water changes, it would be a good idea. That way your sure it's out of the tank.

Saying that your chemistry is good doesn't give us much information.
What are you testing for and what are the actual numbers?
Generally speaking a cyano outbreak means you have high phosphates and/or nitrates. These are best treated by water changes. Do you do regular water changes? How much and how often?
Also what livestock do you have in the tank?