Help

Reefer102

I just started my tank 5 weeks ago and had my water tested and made sure it was ready for fish. I got a clown 3 days ago and he was dowing fine. I was cleaning the tank and filter and notice he was twitching. I don't know what's wrong so I tested my levels and everything is perfect. I haven't seen him eat except for he nipped once. I put the food in at night and turn the lights off. When I wake up all the food is gone but it could have just gone in the filter or skimmer. I don't know what's wrong with him please help.

Pat24601

I'm not sure what you mean by twitching.

It's not that uncommon for clown fish not to eat for a bit in their new home, but they can go for at least a week without food, so he's not in mortal danger if he's not eating yet. When he's hungry enough, he will eat.

I'd feed him when he is awake with the lights on. I feed mine about 6pm each day, He shouldn't need much food (in fact it's hard to feed just one fish). So, just a tiny bit at a time. You should be able to see him eat it as you put it in really. My clownfish attack the food when I put it in.

Is he behaving in some odd way that makes you think he's sick?

Reefer102

I'm not sure what you mean by twitching.

It's not that uncommon for clown fish not to eat for a bit in their new home, but they can go for at least a week without food, so he's not in mortal danger if he's not eating yet. When he's hungry enough, he will eat.

I'd feed him when he is awake with the lights on. I feed mine about 6pm each day, He shouldn't need much food (in fact it's hard to feed just one fish). So, just a tiny bit at a time. You should be able to see him eat it as you put it in really. My clownfish attack the food when I put it in.

Is he behaving in some odd way that makes you think he's sick?
it looks like contortions and he is swinging his head back and forth. I am feeding him what he ate at the store so it might just be the new home part.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Hope your clown is okay and only adjusting to his new home !

DaveK

What did you do to cycle the tank, and what are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Also, check the fish carefully for SW Ick, velvet, and clownfish disease.

These are the two most common problems with adding the first fish.

Reefer102

What did you do to cycle the tank, and what are your current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Also, check the fish carefully for SW Ick, velvet, and clownfish disease.

These are the two most common problems with adding the first fish.
he died but readings are good and i have live rock,live sand,and a canister filer.

DaveK

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

It doesn't make much difference now, but in the future please post the actual water parameters. Statements like "...but readings are good..." don't tell us what the actual levels were and don't tell us what was tested. What seems good to you may indicate a problem to someone else.