Help with Wiring on IWAKI External Pump!

SkyReef

Today, I received my Iwaki MD40RLT Water Pump...I am not accustomed to how it was presented to me: there are three wires, exposed to copper at their ends. One wire is black, another is white, and the third is green.

In unpacking this from the box today, I figured that it's up to me to figure out what to do with these wires...but I have no idea...

I thought it would come with an ac plug at the end?

Anyone have an idea how I should proceed with this? There were no instructions in the box...

Thanks!:columbo:

Reefin

the green wire is your ground and the white is your neutral, the black is the hot , if you look at the plug on your wall the ok the two straight blade plugs the one on the LEFT IS NEUTRAL the one on the RIGHT IS HOT and the round on the bottom is the ground you can buy a plug that you can wire your cord up to and plug in the wall at any hardware store home depot or lowes just make sure you get the wiring on the pump side hooked up correctly if not it could damage or ruin your pump im an electrician do you have any pics of the pump and parts you received it would help to double check so you dont ruin accidently ruin a pump

Last edited:

SkyReef

Reefin:

the green wire is your ground and the white is your neutral, the black is the hot , if you look at the plug on your wall the ok the two straight blade plugs the one on the LEFT IS NEUTRAL the one on the RIGHT IS HOT and the round on the bottom is the ground you can buy a plug that you can wire your cord up to and plug in the wall at any hardware store home depot or lowes just make sure you get the wiring on the pump side hooked up correctly if not it could damage or ruin your pump im an electrician do you have any pics of the pump and parts you received it would help to double check so you dont ruin accidently ruin a pump

Hi, Reefin:

Thanks for your input. That is very helpful. I have attached a picture of the pump, brand-new, out of the box today.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2009-10-07 Iwaki Water Pump MD 40RLT.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 22

Reefin

Oh ok your set its already wired into the pump you just have to get and plug from home depot or lowes ect.. you might just have better luck at a hardware store it's basically just a sorta large plug you can open and attach the stripped back wires to it;s really easy there should be a green screw terminal for the ground and the other 2 screw terminals 9 out of 10 X's there 1 brass srew this is where your black hot wire goes and the other is usually silver thats where the white neutral wire goes if your unsure just make sure the black wire goes to the prong that goes in the right of the outlet and the white wire to the left side prong of the outlet and green the bottom let me know if you have any problems!

SkyReef

Reefin and Reefsmoker:

Thanks for your advice. Very helpful. I'll see about getting the right plug to attach to the end of my external pump. Hopefully, I won't burn the house down. :tumble:

Thanks!

Koi beginner

Hi, Reefin:

Thanks for your input. That is very helpful. I have attached a picture of the pump, brand-new, out of the box today.

Thanks!
Hello Rifin,
I got an Iwaki but the wires are brown, blue and yellow/green. How would I know which one is hot between the blue and brown. I’m assuming the the yellow/green is the ground.
Thanks

DaveK

Hello Rifin,
I got an Iwaki but the wires are brown, blue and yellow/green. How would I know which one is hot between the blue and brown. I’m assuming the the yellow/green is the ground.
Thanks

In your case the brown wire is hot and the blue wire is neutral. The yellow/green wire is ground.

If you want more information, you can get the installation manual from Iwaki's web page (offsite) - https://iwakiamerica.com/products/md-series/?portfolioCats=381#tab-b5ab97db3183989e995

All this kind of begs the question, what are you using the Iwaki pump for? The pump itself is excellent, and will work well, but they consume a lot more powere than the newer DC controllable pumps, often to the point where the purchase of a new pump will pay for itself in energy savings.

Koi beginner

In your case the brown wire is hot and the blue wire is neutral. The yellow/green wire is ground.

If you want more information, you can get the installation manual from Iwaki's web page (offsite) - https://iwakiamerica.com/products/md-series/?portfolioCats=381#tab-b5ab97db3183989e995

All this kind of begs the question, what are you using the Iwaki pump for? The pump itself is excellent, and will work well, but they consume a lot more powere than the newer DC controllable pumps, often to the point where the purchase of a new pump will pay for itself in energy savings.
Hello,
Any recommendation on a DC controllable pump. My outdoor pond is about 1300 gallons. It has a prefilter in the skimmer and a main filter connected to it.
Thanks

DaveK

I didn't realize you were doing an outdoor pond. Since the filtration system for them is a bit different then a reef system, and involves moving a lot more water, sometimes up greater distances, a DC controllable pump is not likely to work well for you. Although this would also depend on exactly how you plumbed the filtration system.