Help with tank cycle!

The Fishy One

So I started my tank about 4-5 months ago. Had a problem with brown hair algae that I couldn't get to go away. Did water changes pretty much everyday hoping it would help but it didn't (10-20 gallons a day my whole system is about 100 gallons) . So I drained the water washed the rocks off and filling it with RO water. Would my tank have to cycle again? Reason I'm asking is because I'd assume my rocks, sand, and filters would still have bacteria on them. I do have reef mature pro on deck just didn't know if really need to use it to help it cycle again.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can test for ammonia, depending on how much die off you had from washing the rocks... but I would guess, you won't have to start over cycling... see what others advise

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

The Fishy One

I did test my water but I know API test kits aren't that accurate lol. Everything was at 0 ppm though. Thank you for the your thoughts and I will wait to see what others say!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo api fine for cycling test... you should be good

Cycling a tank:
Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

DaveK

Once you fill the tank with RO water you kill the vast majority of bacteria on your live rock and sandbed. So yes, you need to cycle the tank from scratch. Your likely getting low readings now because the cycle has not yet started.

The Fishy One

imo api fine for cycling test... you should be good

Cycling a tank:
Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif
I'll make sure to test again and see if anything has changed. It's been about 1-2 weeks since I set the tank up so I'll be watching for the ammonia spike. Thank you for the chart :)

The Fishy One

Once you fill the tank with RO water you kill the vast majority of bacteria on your live rock and sandbed. So yes, you need to cycle the tank from scratch. Your likely getting low readings now because the cycle has not yet started.
Would me mixing it with salt ahead of time cause less of a die off by chance? I'll make sure to test it again it's been almost a week since the last time I tested. Thank you for your input :)

DaveK

The problem is that you filled the tank with RO water. That killed just about everything. The tank is sterile. You need to jump start the cycle by adding something that will decay. Many use a raw shrimp from the grocery store.

You must always mix new SW in a different container, not your tank. Many people use a Rubbermaid round trash can.

The Fishy One

The problem is that you filled the tank with RO water. That killed just about everything. The tank is sterile. You need to jump start the cycle by adding something that will decay. Many use a raw shrimp from the grocery store.

You must always mix new SW in a different container, not your tank. Many people use a Rubbermaid round trash can.
Well not directly I did pre mix it in a couple of brute cans. I could see it still being to sterile though lol. Just added some stuff to my tank to help it cycle through though. Would you be able to answer a question about my clown fish by chance? Lol

Crowther

I am confused about whether you added RO water to your tank after you drained it or if you added RO based salt water. If you added RO based salt water, I think there is much less of a likelihood that you wiped out your bacterial population. It's also unclear what you used to wash your rock. Did you wash it with saltwater or fresh water?

The Fishy One

I am confused about whether you added RO water to your tank after you drained it or if you added RO based salt water. If you added RO based salt water, I think there is much less of a likelihood that you wiped out your bacterial population. It's also unclear what you used to wash your rock. Did you wash it with saltwater or fresh water?
RO based salt water. I mixed it before I added it to the tank. Sorry about that and I rinsed them with freshwater.

DaveK

RO based salt water. I mixed it before I added it to the tank. Sorry about that and I rinsed them with freshwater.

Ok, I see what you did now. Thanks for clearing that up.

However, rinsing the rock in FW still killed most of your bacteria base, so my original advice still stands. You need to cycle the tank from scratch.

The Fishy One

Ok, I see what you did now. Thanks for clearing that up.

However, rinsing the rock in FW still killed most of your bacteria base, so my original advice still stands. You need to cycle the tank from scratch.
Thanks Dave I appreciate the help with this and my ick post! My fish are still being treated. I did use reef mature pro to start re-cycling it now I just got to wait.