Help with new build

hedgeclipper2

Hello all,

I used to have a BioCube 29 years ago and it was pretty successful until my anemone went rogue and got sliced and diced in a malfunctioning power head (unbeknownst to me) and the tank crashed. I was so disheartened I broke it down and haven't had any tank since. Fast forward to today and my spouse got me one of those EcoQube C things which are cute for a little Betta maybe and it got me thinking about setting up another reef tank as I greatly enjoyed it (won't be fiddling with that anemone this time around, ha).

I am considering 4 different builds and was curious to see what everyone thought about the direction I am thinking so far, here we go (sorry if this is a long read):

For livestock we would like to limit to maybe 2 small fish (pair of clowns maybe), the CuC and lots of corals.

Option 1: LED BioCube 32 w/stand, Jager 100w heater, InTank media basket running filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure elite (no skimmer for now), Koralia Nano 425 and all the other goodies (refractometer, digital thermometer, mag cleaner, test kit, dry sand seeding with live sand, base rock, thinking about upgrading return pump to MJ1200

Option 2: LED BioCude 16 w/stand, Jager 75w heater, stock basket with filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure elite (no skimmer for now), Koralia Nano 425 and all the other goodies (refractometer, digital thermometer, mag cleaner, test kit, dry sand seeding with live sand, base rock), thinking about upgrading return pump to MJ1200

Option 3: IM NuvoFusion 20, Jager 75w heater, unsure about light (kit comes with Skkye light but not sure about its effectiveness for corals, could upgrade to AI Prime HD with arm, InTank media baskets running filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure elite (no skimmer for now), Koralia Nano 425 and all the other goodies (refractometer, digital thermometer, mag cleaner, test kit, dry sand seeding with live sand, base rock)

Option 4: JBJ Nano Rimless 30 w/stand, AI Prime HD light with arm, Jager 100w heater, InTank media baskets running filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure elite (no skimmer for now), Koralia Nano 425 and all the other goodies (refractometer, digital thermometer, mag cleaner, test kit, dry sand seeding with live sand, base rock), thinking about adding Tunze Osmolater since this is open top

We like the BioCubes because we had one before, but we love the look of the JBJ Rimless. Not sure if the 16 or 20 gallons are too small and/or require more maintenance due to small size.

I hope we are headed in the right direction, trying not to break the bank with this set up as well. Thanks in advance.

DreamerDash

What kind of corals are you going for? That and how you want to aquascape it are going to play a big part in picking the final option, I think.

Good thinking in planning it all out in advance, right down to having different builds to choose from--especially when trying not to break the bank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Lots great options, you when you get a tank, start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

DreamerDash

Ok excellent, that helps narrow it down. You won't need to be as worried about light-PAR-depth ratios with the corals you listed, as they are less demanding of light. Also, several of the corals you listed are very fast growers, and the euphyllias are quite aggressive. So I would definitely go for one of the larger two options. Additionally some of those softies are particularly sensitive to changes in salinity, so if it's just that clean look you're loving about the JBJ rimless, personally I would mark it off and go with the LED BioCube 32. The only thing with that one is, you may end up wanting to change out the LEDs. I did on mine.

That's my two cents worth anyways!

hedgeclipper2

I think the biocube or the IM would be your best options.
We picked up an IM Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama yesterday. Its quite interesting and I like that it is different. I also really liked the RSM Max Nano, however that is also a 20 gal.

With the ultimate goal of upgrading to something like an RSM Reefer 170 we wanted to stick to something a little smaller where most of the extras we buy could still be used there.

DreamerDash

We picked up an IM Nuvo Concept Abyss Panorama yesterday. Its quite interesting and I like that it is different. I also really liked the RSM Max Nano, however that is also a 20 gal.

With the ultimate goal of upgrading to something like an RSM Reefer 170 we wanted to stick to something a little smaller where most of the extras we buy could still be used there.

Oh sweet!!! That is an awesome tank!!! Lots of fun aquascaping possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk