Help with hospital tank

hi
Please help, i need to set up a QT tank as my fish in display tank have white spot
How quickly can i set this up?
I have 5 fish to treat so Im worried about the bio filtration and if i can move all 5 at once or have to do it gradually?
I'm getting the tank tomorrow its a 75 lt 20 gal tank.
need advise on set up and what to use etc.

1 x tiny cube ostracion box fish
1 x valentino puffer (small)
2 x clowns
1 x Damsel

it is the box fish who is most infected, followed by the clowns, so should i add them to QT in order of most sick?
also best medication to use for ich?i do have 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 fire shrimps, 2 emerald crabs & 4 snails so main tank is not an option unfortunately, do you think i should just QT the box fish first to see how he goes? tank is almost 6 months old and box and damsel are no problem, the puffer is new so has unsettled the tank i have lost 3 fish since he arrived!.but I love him!!!

Is it safe to treat Puff Daddy and my box fish with Cupramine??
the set up of QT is 75L Tank with no substrate, sponge filter and extra filter from DT. can I add all 5 straight away? or do i need to wait?
Thanks in advance:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

This link is to some great :read: on exactly how to proceed - hope this helps - I am sure you can whip the ich !
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ologist-advice-ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.html

See what others think too...

landshark

Welcome to RS Lisa Cochrane, first off sorry to hear about your fish been sick. But for a QT tank you just need the bare essential
Appropriate size tank for fish you need to care for 10 to 20gl
Heater and a place for the fish to hid like a piece of PVC pipe

reefle

You dont need to cycle or anything either. for the first 20 gallon, just use water from your aquarium.

however, you have to monitor parameters everyday. the cupramine will kill all your bacteria, so your ammonia needs to be taken care of by very frequent water changes if not daily.

I also put a hang on back filter with just a sponge to get big nasties out and wash it every other day or so. no carbon.

finally it might be a good idea to get an airstone in there to give some oxygen.

Steve L

Puffers and boxfish can't normally handle copper very well. I treated a dog face puffer last year in a QT with half a dose and it recovered fully. Your problem is that you need to treat half of the fish with different levels of copper, and leave your display tank empty for at least 5-6 weeks, otherwise they will catch it again upon reintroduction into the display tank.

The clowns and damsel could easily be housed in a 10 gallon tank as could the boxfish and puffer in separate 10 gallon tank. You could then medicate them at different levels or with different meds entirely. You can pick up a 10 gallon tank with lights and HOB filter for pretty cheap at Petco or a similar retail store.

I know it sounds like a lot of work and expense, but I don't see another way to do it.

Thanks guys, i am getting a sponge filter with airstone, and have an internal filter i can use also. is it ok to use water from DT? i thought that it could have parasites or trofonts in it?