HELP! Help required with setup (:

King of Karp

Hi guys, complete nooby here setting up my delightful MAX 250 C.

I have a couple of questions which I am quite unsure of to which I have checked the manual but it has not helped.

I bought a tank which is 6 months old am about to put some water in it but I am unsure on two things.

1) There is a white valve attached to the side of the skimmer - do I need to attach anything to this? A pipe did come with all of the accessories if I am suppposed to attach this where does the other end go?

hJFleQO.jpg

2) It came with six of these big black rubber rectangle shapes which I have no idea what to do with. It may be that it was just part of the packaging but as this was a used tank I am not too sure. Admittedly I should have just asked the guy who sold it to me but I am a fool.

ekGI3QQ.jpg

TAVjpD2.jpg

Thanks so much,

King of Karp signing off - lads.

o7

Desmond

The first picture is just the vavle letting air into the skimmer for adjustment. The 2nd i am not sure to be honest

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Pat24601

The first picture is just the vavle letting air into the skimmer for adjustment. The 2nd i am not sure to be honest

I'm wanting to say that Red Sea says that air control valve isn't necessary anyway. Based on this and other similar threads.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/...ro-bubbles-that-wont-stop.93692/#post-1286098

Do I read that right?

Also, I agree the second picture is likely something that goes on the back of the tank to put the electric cords in basically to help it stay organized. Not really necessary per se. I don't use it, but you can't really see behind my tank so a few dangling cords don't matter.

Desmond

No worries at all buddy. Looking forward to seeing it all finished

King of Karp

Thanks guys.

This is the tank with the rock, water going in tonight! I've decided to go for the real reef rock after reading really good reviews on it!!! It was a really tough decision and have already been told it's the wrong one by a few people - just hoping and praying that it will be okay. I've seen a few great setups online and it seems to have fared well.
N1SGtRf.jpg

PUhzHEC.jpg

Also three bags of live sand going in before the water.

What are your guys opinions on it?

Peace and love,

King of Karp!

SPR

The white air valve is to control the amount of air going through the skimmer. When you first set the skimmer up it may go a little crazy 'overskimming' (throwing lots of air filled water out) so you insert the valve fully open and then gradually close it until the skimmer comes under control and skims normally. You might need it near fully closed when you start off.

You should have a grey rubber hose which connects to the skimmer and will probably stick up above the water line. I didn't have the 250 but had one on my original Max E 260

As the skimmer is run in over a period of days/weeks you gradually open the air valve until you can completely remove it. Just remember as it's a new tank there will probably be nothing for it to skim out to start with so be patient and very fine adjustments.

And as said above, the black rubber things are to clean up the wires and fit in the plastic wire guides.

I've got that real reef rock in mine as well and very nice. Just be careful when lifting in and out of the tank while setting up as it's very abrasive if you catch a piece of plastic on the tank. I know because I caught my lights frame with last piece of rock and had to get black felt tip pen out!

I dont know why anyone would say it's the wrong one but it takes all sorts I suppose and all personal preference.

Anyway good luck and enjoy.

PS we like pictures!

Last edited:

Pat24601

The white air valve is to control the amount of air going through the skimmer. When you first set the skimmer up it may go a little crazy 'overskimming' (throwing lots of air filled water out) so you insert the valve fully open and then gradually close it until the skimmer comes under control and skims normally. You might need it near fully closed when you start off.

You should have a grey rubber hose which connects to the skimmer and will probably stick up above the water line. I didn't have the 250 but had one on my original Max E 260

As the skimmer is run in over a period of days/weeks you gradually open the air valve until you can completely remove it. Just remember as it's a new tank there will probably be nothing for it to skim out to start with so be patient and very fine adjustments.

And as said above, the black rubber things are to clean up the wires and fit in the plastic wire guides.

I've got that real reef rock in mine as well and very nice. Just be careful when lifting in and out of the tank while setting up as it's very abrasive if you catch a piece of plastic on the tank. I know because I caught my lights frame with last piece of rock and had to get black felt tip pen out!

I dont know why anyone would say it's the wrong one but it takes all sorts I suppose and all personal preference.

Anyway good luck and enjoy.

PS we like pictures!

I agree 100% that your live rock will be good. Don't sweat that.

One thing you'll find in this hobby is there are lots of different opinions. Some are useful, some are not.

In most cases there are simply multiple reasonable ways to do things and some people prefer on over the other for whatever reason. Typically, that reason is they prefer what they did to what they don't know.

Finally, your scape looks great! Keep up the pics!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Great start !!! :clink:

King of Karp

Thanks for all of the replies guys, its greatly appreciated - it's put my mind at ease regarding the rock.

It was just over a box and a half of rock put inside of the tank, it looks more than it is in the photo but there isn't much depth to it, just height. I would estimate about 25-30KG.

Live sand and water went in over the weekend, salt level is slightly high so will do a 10% water change with RO this weekend, waiting for other test kits to arrive in the post this week for more tests.

I'll make a gallery thread once I have taken more photos of her.

Thanks for the advice!

Sincerely

King of Karp.