SeaMilla

Hey There Everyone ,
Something is happening to my anemone !
I have a beautiful Green anemone that up until a couple of days ago, seemed quite content in its 70 gallon home .
At first I noticed it had detached from its rock and immediately saw that its mouth was bulging and swollen and the Clownfish (Clarks Clown) that is paired (not sure the technical word?) with it was swimming around him almost nervously .. and today its middle mouth area is HUGE and puffy and almost looks like its shedding somthing from itself .. I love all of my little creatures and I am EXTREMELY concerned with this and am afraid he is ill or dying .. If anyone can explain this or help me save my little buddy I would be very grateful !

Thank you,
Milla

P.S - I have had saltwater tanks for 10+ years and a few anemones and I've NEVER seen anything like this.. so I am LOST :(

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    793.1 KB · Views: 4
  • anemone side view 05 22 21.jpg
    anemone side view 05 22 21.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 4
  • WIN_20210522_23_29_17_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210522_23_29_17_Pro.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 4

DaveK

This really looks bad. Th first thing to keep in mind is to watch it very carefully, since if it dies, it can quickly foul the tank. Look for anything that looks like "smoke" coming out of the anemone, or it it looks totally limp, or if there area any areas that are starting to rot.

The first thing I would do is make about a 25% water change while carefully matching SG, pH and so on.

Please give us some additional information.
How long have you had the anemone?
How long have you had the tank set up?
What are your water parameters? (Please give exact numbers, statements like "all parameteres are fine do not convey any information. What might seem fine to you might indicate an issue to someone else)
What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? (Please be specific as to type of fixture and lighting cycle)
What kind of filtration and/or skimming do you have on that tank?
What other livestock do you have in the tank?

Thanks.

Last edited:

SeaMilla

This really looks bad. Th first thing to keep in mind is to watch it very carefully, since if it dies, it can quickly foul the tank. Look for anything that looks like "smoke" coming out of the anemone, or it it looks totally limp, or if there area any areas that are starting to rot.

The first thing I would do is make about a 25% water change while carefully matching SG, pH and so on.

Please give us some additional information.
How long have you had the anemone?
How long have you had the tank set up?
What are your water parameters? (Please give exact numbers, statements like "all parameteres are fine do not convey any information. What might seem fine to you might indicate an issue to someone else)
What kind og lighting do you have on the tank? (Please be specific as to type of fixture and lighting cycle)
What kind of filtration and/or skimming do you have on that tank?
What other livestock do you have in the tank?

Thanks.
I have had this tank over 7 years and I have 2 clarks clownfish , a fairy wrasse , serpent star, and a few snails . Unfortunately the night I posted this , the Anemone died and did start to fall apart rather quickly . i immediately removed it from the tank and the other fish and the other anemone all seem to be doing well . im still not sure what caused this , since as i mentioned before just a few day prior it looked normal and full of color :/
im going to post a pic or video of the tank .. thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9695.jpg
    IMG_9695.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Blue Space

Hi Milla

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! I wouldn't worry about it too much if all of your parameters are in check. Sometimes these things just happen. Though, there are some things we can do to minimize the chances of loss. If your tank is 10+ years old be sure to check your pumps and other equipment to make sure you aren't leeching any type of metal into your tank.

SeaMilla

Hi Milla

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! I wouldn't worry about it too much if all of your parameters are in check. Sometimes these things just happen. Though, there are some things we can do to minimize the chances of loss. If your tank is 10+ years old be sure to check your pumps and other equipment to make sure you aren't leeching any type of metal into your tank.
Hi Milla

You have no idea how much better I feel reading that, thank you ! I cleaned the water after its passing (RIP Tipsy ) and everyone seems happy and settled again .. even the clowns have calmed down and everyone seems at peace again .
As for the pumps, everything was replaced 2 years ago and the gentleman that comes to do maintenance said everything looks like its in good shape so hopefully we are all good in that department ! If there is any other tips or tricks you can think of when it comes to anemones , id love to hear them.. It breaks my heart to lose even one of my sea babies so any advice would be much appreciated :)
Thank you for your help @Blue Space !