Help? (my poor alveopora)

MFSullivan

Maybe it's obvious, but I'm sure not seeing the cause ---

I inadvertantly picked up an alveopora from a fairly good local LFS.. and (as explained), moderate light and flow and it should do well. Post-purchase research indicataes a very different story. The folks there have been excellent with recommendations, steering me away from bad choices, etc...

For several weeks, it opened regularly with very good polyp extension and coloration. The water chemistry is very stable and consistent. All other species seem fine, with no signs of stress.

Then yesterday --- the polyps will open with little or no extension from the base coral head.

After extensive research, I resigned myself to the fact that this specimen will invariably not thrive, but is it possible that it would meet it's doom so quickly?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Sorry Mike, they can and do go off quickly, meeting their needs for nutrition in a closed system is hard to do, oyster eggs and phyto I think are the recommended foods, brown jelly disease seems to be pretty common as well, some people seem to do extremely well with them but a few months seems to be average, low flow, on the substrate and moderate lighting. Good luck, Steve