Help me pick a light for my nano reef?

Draco

I am so confused with all the lighting options out there, I am getting stressed with days of researching and trying to understand the benefits of MH, LED and T5's, wattage, lumins, pars, which is good for corals or not.. my head hurts!!

At this point, I want someone to just say "This is the one for you" and that's that- I hope you guys can do just that? Here's some info of what I need help with.. (thank you in advance!)

• JBJ 28 gal nanocube (18"x22"x22"H)- I am planning on going rim-less on this tank. the hood is going away.
• Right now I have mostly softies (Zoas mainly)- I want to be able to have more variety- and possibly some stony.
• I do not want to hang the light from my ceiling or wall.. but putting it on a gooseneck or something that clips on the back of the tank will work for me, as well as some with legs.
• $100-200 budget, hoping to stay on the lower end.
• Does not have to be programmable- but separate plugs for day/night would be awesome.
• As of now, the top will be open until I can figure out how to make a clear lid to prevent any suicides (another topic, but if you can help, let me know?)

thank you for helping, I look forward to any and all advice! If you need more info, please do let me know and I'll be happy to answer

Orlando-Jeff

Growing LPS and SPS might be though on that budget. I have a Red Sea Max C-130. It's 34 gallons. I replaced the power compacts with a Orbit marine pro led light. I have softies, LPS and SPS and they are all doing great but that comes with a price. The light was $269. Got it on Amazon. I'm sure you could grow just about anything with this light.Worth a look if you could handle the price

taat2d

Have you looked into the AI Prime? They sell a goose neck for it and it's a completely programmable full spectrum adjustable LED light. Works with an iPhone or android app or from a computer.

There are a lot of reefers using this light with a LOT of success. I just bought it for my JBJ 28g cube. Played around with it it but I'm still cycling my tank so I can't speak on it as of yet.

Last edited: