HELP - Leaking Rsm 250

Just came home today after been out to find approximatly a cup full of water on the floor by the tank. This has originated from the 3 slits just under the power centre. Not sure what to do or where its coming from. How can i prevent it from getting much worse and why would this happen?

John

e81cc14c.jpg

a picture of the leak

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
That's not good. Any water near the electricity? Can u pinpoint the leak?

........ mods please turn ur heads.

Just looked in the power center and its a bit damp in their but no obvious place. Its not a massive leak but clearly enough for concern matt. I might give Kev at red sea a call as he has been excellent with dealing with some of my other issues (think i just got a rogue bad unit). Worst comes to the worst... how difficult would it be to restart the tank.. just put everything in or would it be a whole recycle the whole lot again?

tnwillia

Is there any chance you splashed or spilled water down thru the cord port at tank top of that port? If not send your picture to Red Sea and go from there. Good luck!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Id take it one step at a time. Find that leak n most important get those drip loops in place n no cords on the bottom. Safety first bro its boy scout time.

........ mods please turn ur heads.

Thanks for all the help guys. Kev at redsea has shipped a new tank out for me which will arrive today. So this leaves the big task of swapping tank contents.. Any ideas On the best way to do this? I'm guessing it's a very long job. I'll take a day off work to do it I think

tnwillia

Sure glad Kev took care of you. Do a leak test on the new tank before you start any of this! Then Brutes, Brutes, Brutes! drain the water & rock into them, move the old tank off the stand. Really check/dryout/relevel the stand top to bottom before putting the new tank on it. The Brutes can become your water change containers so you really don't waste them on a one time deal. Good luck with it!

exact same thign happened to me, leaked from the same place.... kev sorted me a new tank too so I feel your pain! If you have a local LFS you cn usually get old salt buckets from the FOC, Id recccommend mixing up at least 100 litres of fresh salted water so you can move your stock into several buckets of water, then syphon off as much water as you can before using a plastic dustpan to scoop out the sandbed - this will make a LOT of mess by the way... then remember to empty the rear chambers, theres at least another 20l in them :), then its just brute force to change them all over, and move the stock back. Borrow as many heaters and small powerheads as you can to keep the buckets heated/ariated as it takes a LOGN ass time to do if your doing it on your own (I started at 8am and finished at 2am :))

jeffrey

Sure glad Kev took care of you. Do a leak test on the new tank before you start any of this! Then Brutes, Brutes, Brutes! drain the water & rock into them, move the old tank off the stand. Really check/dryout/relevel the stand top to bottom before putting the new tank on it. The Brutes can become your water change containers so you really don't waste them on a one time deal. Good luck with it!

Sorry about the leak, how old was your tank? Good to hear that Red Sea worked things out for you.

anjl97

PANICKING HERE! This just happened to me tonight! I swear for two nights this past week I have heard light cracking noises, but no cracks were visible. Now I have water coming out of those three holes. But just a tiny bit. I don't see water anywhere else, but I did notice that I had to top off about 1/2 gallon more than normal. Could the bottom have cracked and it is all pooled up under the tank? What was the outcome of your issues, deepseadiver and ukoldschool?!

anjl97

Is RedSeaKev only for guys in the UK? I'm in Virginia. Does that matter? Thank you for your help!

ausreef

DSD the whole process of transferring the tank contents is really easy if you write off the sand bed(keep a bit to re seed the new),just put a new sand bed in the new tank half fill with water then transfer the liverock and livestock,if you want the new tank in the same spot you need to handle everything twice but it can be done in a day,one thing i found really handy is lots of polystyrene boxes,you can get them usually free at the lfs and the green grocer (brocilli boxes),but believe me the last thing you want is to try and transfer all the sand

Tokalosh

DSD the whole process of transferring the tank contents is really easy if you write off the sand bed(keep a bit to re seed the new),just put a new sand bed in the new tank half fill with water then transfer the live rock and livestock,if you want the new tank in the same spot you need to handle everything twice but it can be done in a day,one thing i found really handy is lots of polystyrene boxes,you can get them usually free at the lfs and the green grocer (broccoli boxes),but believe me the last thing you want is to try and transfer all the sand

Sorry to hear about the leak.

asrsreef is right in saying that it will only take a day. It took me 9 hours to transfer mine so make sure you got everything planed out well in advance and get a good night sleep the day before.

Oh and I transferred all my sand as well :eek:lsmile:

Good luck

Tok

Skylar

Just came home today after been out to find approximatly a cup full of water on the floor by the tank. This has originated from the 3 slits just under the power centre. Not sure what to do or where its coming from. How can i prevent it from getting much worse and why would this happen?

John
I know this thread is old, but I have exactly the same problem with my RSM 250 right now. Can you tell me what the issue was in your case?