Help Identify Unknown slime growing

Ken Ken

I have had this stuff growing only on my live rock for over 3 months now...at one point it got so bad I removed some of the live rock and scrubbed it away. Looked like it did the trick at first but started to come back after 2 weeks. Any idea what this stuff is? Only thing I'm doing is dosing 2 part calcium and alkalinity to maintain levels. Testing weekly to make sure levels are stable. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20150731_161056_resized.jpg
    20150731_161056_resized.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20150731_161127_resized.jpg
    20150731_161127_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20150731_161111_resized.jpg
    20150731_161111_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

reefer gladness

Looks like brown jelly/slime disease, it's a bacteria if memory serves. Manual removal (scrubbing) and a FW dip or some Lugol's usually does the trick.

reefer gladness

I don't think an exact cause has been determined. I believe it's a bacteria that is present in most tanks but doesn't take hold unless conditions allow. Damaged corals are susceptible to it but I've also seen neglected tanks that don't get regular water changes develop brown jelly.

Dipping is recommended vs treating the entire tank, fresh water or Lugols after a good scrubbing.

DaveK

The thing you want to do here is check the rocks and corals in question. If it's only on the rocks, it's more an annoyance, but if it's on the corals it can really be serious, and should be treated as as soon as possible.

Ken Ken

I don't think an exact cause has been determined. I believe it's a bacteria that is present in most tanks but doesn't take hold unless conditions allow. Damaged corals are susceptible to it but I've also seen neglected tanks that don't get regular water changes develop brown jelly.

Dipping is recommended vs treating the entire tank, fresh water or Lugols after a good scrubbing.

I don't think water change is the issue as I'm doing water changes every 2 weeks....corals are all doing well...however I do notice it trying to grow on my green star polyps. It is getting very annoying. I want to beable to do something that will completly eliminate it. I have had several nano reef tanks over the years and have never experienced this stuff.

Ken Ken

The tank is pretty stocked.....I lost a couple hard corals. Not sure if it was from the bacteria but they were new addition s that did not survive after 3 days of recieving.

Attachments

• 20150731_202051_resized.jpg
    20150731_202051_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6