Help i need help idk what happened to my anemone. ASAP

freakamyl

Hi everyone! I need help. Im a newbie into taking care of anemone. Last 3days my husband bought me a clownfish and i insisted buying anemone because its their house. So when we got home. We put all of the fish and the anemone together. And now its behaving like abnormal or idk how u call it. It doesnt want to open up. But my clownfish loves it. Should i throw the anemone? Im afraid it will kill my clownfish (i bought the clownfish a bit pricey thats why im scared and its a gift i dont want to risk it) also im scared my clownfish will be depress! i have a very small aquarium

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
a great read...

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

and :rbwwelc:to RS !

index.php

Uncle99

A nem for clowns is not necessary, but IMO, a great addition. It looks like an slightly unhappy Retteri Anemone, (I think) one that I have not kept before.
I understand they are in the "harder to keep" category.

Sometimes clowns are a bit hard on an nem, sometimes not.

But some things are equal amongst all.
He needs a 6 month old, minimum. 50g tank, Live Rock, fully cycled tank with salterwater salinity of 1.024-1.025, strong lighting available, shade spot available, low to moderate flow, and a temp of 78-79.

Please do not feed him anything until he recovers.

Water is a key, as some, like the one you have are very demanding of perfect water chemistry, consistent, parameters equal to NSW.

Give him some time, I have seen them go weeks shrunk only to emerge. He needs to attach himself to a rock, this he wil do on his own.

He is not falling apart, so for now, leave him only, make sure you water is excellent, light and flow, and let's see what happens in the next 48....,

It is quite normal for an nem to retract for days on end.

Hope that helps, keep the group posted, maybe someone out there has some other ideas

Uncle99

You and DaveK helped me a ton when I joined your community
Reef Sanctuary and its members are such a great, knowledgable and diverse group.....just want to pay it forward so to speak.
You guys are wise reefers that know their stuff.

Attached is a must, and should happen either in 1 hour or a couple of days at best.
He should not be bouncing around the tank.

Cheers!

DaveK

Anemones have very demanding requirements. they need top quality water, excellent lighting, and a stable, well established tank. They are not something beginners should take on. This means a tank that has been set up and running for about a year, and has no water quality issues. It is also much harder to maintain water quality in a small tank, but I can't be sure about this because you don;t mention the size of your tank.

I can see that the anemone didn't anchor itself to a rock or bottom of the tank and that your water is a bit cloudy. While clowns do like anemones, anemones are not required to keep a clownfish.

Your best course of action is to return the anemone to your LFS, and get something else. Your very likely to kill it. A dead anemone can quickly foul a tank, and this will only create another major problem. I know this isn't the advice you want to hear, but it's really the best thing to do.

freakamyl

Anemones have very demanding requirements. they need top quality water, excellent lighting, and a stable, well established tank. They are not something beginners should take on. This means a tank that has been set up and running for about a year, and has no water quality issues. It is also much harder to maintain water quality in a small tank, but I can't be sure about this because you don;t mention the size of your tank.

I can see that the anemone didn't anchor itself to a rock or bottom of the tank and that your water is a bit cloudy. While clowns do like anemones, anemones are not required to keep a clownfish.

Your best course of action is to return the anemone to your LFS, and get something else. Your very likely to kill it. A dead anemone can quickly foul a tank, and this will only create another major problem. I know this isn't the advice you want to hear, but it's really the best thing to do.
I have a very small tank. And idk how many gallons of water is in it. They didnt inform me that the anemone is hard to keep. We are new when it comes to taking care of some salt water fish. I didnt know that its hard to take care of. LFS doesnt want it back. The nems doesnt want to stick in the rocks. It kept on falling and im afraid it will make it more stress if i kept on moving it. Should i just remove it? Will it make my clownfish sad? Because shes very attached to the nems. She wont leave it alone. Sorry for asking too much question. And thank you for giving a time to reply to me.

freakamyl

A nem for clowns is not necessary, but IMO, a great addition. It looks like an slightly unhappy Retteri Anemone, (I think) one that I have not kept before.
I understand they are in the "harder to keep" category.

Sometimes clowns are a bit hard on an nem, sometimes not.

But some things are equal amongst all.
He needs a 6 month old, minimum. 50g tank, Live Rock, fully cycled tank with salterwater salinity of 1.024-1.025, strong lighting available, shade spot available, low to moderate flow, and a temp of 78-79.

Please do not feed him anything until he recovers.

Water is a key, as some, like the one you have are very demanding of perfect water chemistry, consistent, parameters equal to NSW.

Give him some time, I have seen them go weeks shrunk only to emerge. He needs to attach himself to a rock, this he wil do on his own.

He is not falling apart, so for now, leave him only, make sure you water is excellent, light and flow, and let's see what happens in the next 48....,

It is quite normal for an nem to retract for days on end.

Hope that helps, keep the group posted, maybe someone out there has some other ideas
My tank is not close to 50gallons. It is waaaay smaller than that. We filled our tank with 2 bags of salt water. So i guess my nems will just die because i dont have all the things you mentioned above which stresses me out because our LFS didnt mention anything about it. And were using a small LED light not sure how strong it is. We will buy some thermometer to test the temperature of the water. Were very new to this kind of fish and reefs and the person who sold us this fish didnt mention anything about how complicated it can get. If it stays on the side today is it better to temove it? Because im afraid it will poison my tank and make it more worst.

Sorry for asking this much. I am really new to this and i got no one who knows many things about reefs and saltwater fish. Thank you so much for answering me.

freakamyl

we dont know why our tank suddenly become cloudy.. it wasnt like that in the first day we set our tank. is it because of the anemone? what can we do to make our tank clear again?

Pat24601

My tank is not close to 50gallons. It is waaaay smaller than that. We filled our tank with 2 bags of salt water. So i guess my nems will just die because i dont have all the things you mentioned above which stresses me out because our LFS didnt mention anything about it. And were using a small LED light not sure how strong it is. We will buy some thermometer to test the temperature of the water. Were very new to this kind of fish and reefs and the person who sold us this fish didnt mention anything about how complicated it can get. If it stays on the side today is it better to temove it? Because im afraid it will poison my tank and make it more worst.

Sorry for asking this much. I am really new to this and i got no one who knows many things about reefs and saltwater fish. Thank you so much for answering me.

This is very common. We hear all the time about a LFS not really informing customers of the requirements and people buying something hard to care for. I’m sad to say that usually doesn’t end well.

Based on what you describe, I agree with @DaveK that the nem probably isn’t going to work for you. I’m definitely not trying to be mean, just trying to give you advice as best I can.

I’d say it’s better to remove it before it dies and pollutes your tank.

DaveK

I have a very small tank. And idk how many gallons of water is in it. They didnt inform me that the anemone is hard to keep. We are new when it comes to taking care of some salt water fish. I didnt know that its hard to take care of. LFS doesnt want it back. The nems doesnt want to stick in the rocks. It kept on falling and im afraid it will make it more stress if i kept on moving it. Should i just remove it? Will it make my clownfish sad? Because shes very attached to the nems. She wont leave it alone. Sorry for asking too much question. And thank you for giving a time to reply to me.

You can compute the volume of your tank easily enough.

Take the three dimensions of the tank in cm and multiply them together and divide by 1000 to get the volume in liters.

You LFS should accept the return of the anemone. They sold it to you without informing you of it's requirements. If they refuse, do your best to find another store.

I would remove the anemone. As I pointed out previously, clownfish do not need an anemone.

freakamyl

This is very common. We hear all the time about a LFS not really informing customers of the requirements and people buying something hard to care for. I’m sad to say that usually doesn’t end well.

Based on what you describe, I agree with @DaveK that the nem probably isn’t going to work for you. I’m definitely not trying to be mean, just trying to give you advice as best I can.

thank you for your advice. i think i will remove my anemone

Thank you so much for your response. I guess I really have to remove my anemone from my tank.. I also think that the anemone is the reason why my tank looks polluted and cloudy. because when we set our tank its so clear and now that days passed it became cloudy. Im really thankful for you guys being helpful! :)

freakamyl

You can compute the volume of your tank easily enough.

Take the three dimensions of the tank in cm and multiply them together and divide by 1000 to get the volume in liters.

You LFS should accept the return of the anemone. They sold it to you without informing you of it's requirements. If they refuse, do your best to find another store.

I would remove the anemone. As I pointed out previously, clownfish do not need an anemone.
thank you so much for your reply dave. i will remove my anemone once i reached home. And i will try to compute the volume of my tank. I also wanted to know if its okay for my clown fish? because she is staying inside the nems the whole time. i hope my clownfish will not be depress.

Uncle99

That's truly unfortunate that a store, who can easily support this animal, will not. That's tells me a lot about the store.

I kept clown pairs in 20g, sand and live rock with a BTA, but again, minimum is 6 months mature, perfect on point water, and strong lighting.

A good store would have told you for this specific nem.
-Strong Light.....they love metal halides....and usually climb to the top, same in nature.....maybe real good LED....
-Moderate to Indirect high flow....what they are used to living on the reef crest.
-An expert status on water quality, consistent, renewable, RODI, matching NSW.

I would have been comfortable in a tank not less than 30g, but without the above, I don't think that's going to work. Try the store or another If possible.

If you decide to move forward, keep a careful eye on him, when he starts to come apart, discard.
Hopefully a store will take him back.

Last edited: