Help I made a newbie mistake

I never glued my rocks together in my salt tank. I thougt they would be fine. Definitely not a risk I'm willing to take after getting it stocked. Can I take my live rock out and glue it and put it back without throwing my tank into a cycle? Thanks

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
As long as you don’t keep it out of the water to the point where it creates die off you won’t cause a recycle.

How far into the cycle, new tank, are you?

Ok thanks very much. So with these glues made for saltwater like ic gel will i be able to return the rock immediately after glueing? My tank was cycled w bio spira and left empty for a week just to be sure. It's stocked now and it's three weeks old. Two clownfish and one xenia, two snails and a peppermint shrimp. Also worth mentioning I have a purple Xenia not doing too great after a snail knocked the frag off my rocks. Now I have it recovering anchored in the sand but it's not looking great. But my water is very clean too and I know they don't love that but I think the crash really hurt it

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Did you see the tank go through the cycle, watching the levels spike and drop? 1-3 weeks is still pretty young but you should be creating much die off.

I’d suggest looking at the purple puddy for holding the rock. Glue may be too fragile.

Yes I tested it all on and watched the nitrite and ammonia spike and fall I think bcuz I bought my saltwater at the LFS it basically was already stocked w bacteria. The nitrates were actually much higher than I wanted them 30 ppm fr the LFS have them down to 5ppm now w just a few 10 percent weekly changes and one larger 20percent change in the beginning. Fish are doing great. Coraline algae starting up the sides and back

I cycled another tank it took much longer w the bio spira it's sitting empty now but I mixed my own salt w that one and it took four days solid. The one I cycled w LFS water cycles almost instantly in less than 24 hours w the bio spira.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Good advise ^ Feel free to ask any questions, unlike some reefing forums, Reef Sanctuary is special, flame free, with lots of members willing to help.

We all had the same question at one time in our sw journey & some nice member answered them for us :clownfish:

We love pics of all tanks at all stages !

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/fishies-aqua-stik-stone-gray-4-oz.html

two-little-fishies- aquastik-underwater-epoxy-putty

Hey thanks so much! I really appreciate all the help! I'm so grateful for this forum ! I'm pretty sure my LFS is sick of seeing me lol I got my first freshwater tank three months ago now I have three tanks I'd say I'm hooked (no pun intended). Also how do I shrink photos to add media?

saintsreturn

Good advice so far :D

Welcome to the site as well. I dont glue my rock work together, but i also stack so they are linked and locked in. Do what makes you the most comfortable and whatever you choose, be sure to keep the rock as wet as possible while you work.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
for what it's worth... many of us don't glue/putty them... I don't, sure makes upgrading tanks or re-scaping easier... mine have never tumbled so far... in 10 years.