Help clownfish with ich?!

Gonj

So I just started my tank coming up on the 2nd week, FOWLR my test come back in normal parameters, temp and salinity have been kept stable. It’s a 37 gallon that holds 2 clownfish at the moment one of which appears to have signs of ich. LFS said best treatment would be to let it ride it out not sure that’s the best approach. Attached some photos of the clown that seems to have ich bellow.Thoughts?

Attachments

• 64EBCDFC-9A16-400D-BB3D-E483534135B8.jpeg
    64EBCDFC-9A16-400D-BB3D-E483534135B8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • E3463872-F020-4E2D-A77A-EE9AD1878F74.jpeg
    E3463872-F020-4E2D-A77A-EE9AD1878F74.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Humblefish

Are the white spots protruding outward from the skin? It looks more like bacterial or viral growths than Ich, based on the photos.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Ich or lympho, you’ll need to investigate the type of bump. Good thing is it doesn’t look like Brook or MV.

what are you feeding the clowns? I’d recommend a high quality food like Larry’s reef frenzy or mysis. Add some selcon or another vitamin supplement to the food as well. That will help control lympho if it is.

Gonj

Are the white spots protruding outward from the skin? It looks more like bacterial or viral growths than Ich, based on the photos.
It started off looking like ich but I suspect it may have been velvet as the clown started to look dusty. I got a hospital tank set up and put in some meds but it did not make it.

Gonj

Ich or lympho, you’ll need to investigate the type of bump. Good thing is it doesn’t look like Brook or MV.

what are you feeding the clowns? I’d recommend a high quality food like Larry’s reef frenzy or mysis. Add some selcon or another vitamin supplement to the food as well. That will help control lympho if it is.
I feed them frozen mysis they seem to enjoy it. My clown passed this morning unfortunately my other clown seems fine however no sign of spots not sure if I should continue to treat it or return it to the dt?

Gonj

E26FC7A7-C98B-4651-A1B0-78DB543B1663.jpeg
LFS said it was ich at first but it looks a worse than the photos I saw of ich.

Blue Space

So sorry for your loss, Gonj. It looks like ich if I had to guess. I would treat as recommended and would NOT place the other fish back into your dt. He needs to stay in the hospital tank for the full quarantine period.

Gonj

So sorry for your loss, Gonj. It looks like ich if I had to guess. I would treat as recommended and would NOT place the other fish back into your dt. He needs to stay in the hospital tank for the full quarantine period.

[/URL]
Thanks for the condolences. I want to keep my clown quarantined at least 45 days until the ich dies off. However I was gifted an urchin and a cleaner shrimp I also have pre existing snails and hermits. Will they be okay in the 37g? Can the ich live off them until I introduce fish again?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Your display needs to go fallow (fishless) for 76 days unless you raise temp to 80.6 degrees, then it’s 6weeks.

On your existing fish, they need to be treated with copper or CP. can you get your hands on the stuff you need? @Humblefish has a wealth of info on his site of how to do it properly. Odds are your lfs will not be of much help in this situation