Help! Clownfish problems!

nomeybish

I got this clownfish about a week ago and it had a small black spot on its chin however since having him home this has turned nasty! He still eats and sometimes swims around of a night and the morning he just lays on the bottom of the tank?!
0317633f806b4552f10c12ee8c99e88d.jpg
93e03415fcba214803d4a4042f2cb6b4.jpg
4af135c32944c9b3f78bfd49b231d828.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/IMG]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Nomeybish :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Sorry that such a bad thing with Your clownfish had to be your 1st post. It really does look like some sort of nasty parasite. :frown:
I don't know what it is. :dunno:
Someone will probably come along & be able to tell you what it is & what to do. :fingerscrossed:
How long have you had your tank running?
Do you have other fish in your tank? :fishy::fishy::fishy:
More tank info might help with knowing what to tell you.

DaveK

This doesn't look good. I don't think you have much of a chance of saving the fish.

You can try removing the fish to a quarantine tank and treating it for Brooklynella. Treatment for this is with formalin. It also seems to have some other infections, so I'd also treat with an antibiotic.

Always treat in a quarantine tank. Never ever treat in the main display tank.

As a note to others, this is an example of what I'm talking about when I state that many of the clowns being sold today are in very poor condition.

Pat24601

As a note to others, this is an example of what I'm talking about when I state that many of the clowns being sold today are in very poor condition.

This strikes me as odd. Since clowns are mostly tank bred and there is seemingly an abundant supply of them, what is leading to them being sold in poor condition?

Coraljunkie

Put it in a qt tank and keep an eye on the ammonia levels and water qaulity. You can try to use seachem paraguard and see if it helps. I treat all my new livestock with that and so far so good.

DaveK

This strikes me as odd. Since clowns are mostly tank bred and there is seemingly an abundant supply of them, what is leading to them being sold in poor condition?

I wish I had a good answer for you. I suspect it's a number of factors. You have a fish in high demand, produced in large quantities, and possibly not handled too well by many LFS.

It's not that you can't get high quality clowns, but you need to look them over carefully.