help ammonia and nitrite surge

reefnut

hey guys i had a power outage for about 16 hours with no oxygen. I just got back from vacation. the funny thing is everything looks great, all my corals and fish look fine but my ammonia is at 0 and my nitrite is at 0. will there be a surge?? I have a 65 gal reef tank only thing that tested out of sorts was the ph which was 8.0 from 8.2. is there any kind of chem that can stop the surge?? plz let me know what you think.
thks Rob

panmanmatt

Keep an eye on your parameters and have plenty of fresh saltwater on hand in case you need to do any water changes.
As for chemicals to help with an ammonia spike I personally like Hikari's Ultimate. It works fantasrtic and doesn't effect your PH like some of the others do.

Do you have any other cycled LR or ther media you could add to help stabilize the tank if the need arises?

lcstorc

I wouldn't think you would have a surge unless something died. I guess it is possible that some of the bacteria died but only time will tell.
Keep a close eye on your parameters and be ready to do water changes like Matt said. That's really all you can do. I do think it will be ok but definitely monitor it closely.

panmanmatt

One other thing I just thought of. Feed very lightly over the next week or so. Just in case any of the bio filter did die off you want to give it a chance to rebuild and not overload it. Leave your lights off to to help minimize the stress on your inhabitants.

panmanmatt

That's great to hear. Don't be afraid to holler if anything should arise. You should be fine from here on out though.

ReefLady

Staff member
One other thing I just thought of. Feed very lightly over the next week or so. Just in case any of the bio filter did die off you want to give it a chance to rebuild and not overload it. Leave your lights off to to help minimize the stress on your inhabitants.

That's some good advice right there. ;)

I too think it will be fine, as everyone said just be ready with a water change if something does happen.