Hello!! Very new to everything Aquarium

Shark Attack

Hello everybody!

I'm super new at all this fish stuff but just picked up a 48 gallon bow front tank with stand, hob filter and a few extras.

I think the tank it's gorgeous and would look amazing as a salt water tank and eventually a reef with fish tank.

I know I have tons to read.....I think I'm at the right place for that.

My first problem will be tank placement as all my outer walls have base radiators running across them.

Well, thanks for having me and see you on the forum!

DaveK

I've posted this many times before, but it's still the best advice I can give to some one new to the hobby.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

A few additional notes -

If your going to do a SW system your likely to find that except for the tank and stand, much of the gear you got is not really suitable for A SW reef system. Don't open up anything as you may wish to return it.

Note that I really emphasize planning. Depending upon what your interested in keeping, you might even want a different tank at some point.

Research what you plan on getting before you buy. Many times people new to the hobby get something that thet are not really in a position to keep at that point. Most often this occurs with anemones. People jsut seem to want those clowns with an anemone, but fail to meet the requirements for that anemone, and it often ends up dead or being returned.

Lastly, you'll find that most of your LFSs are clueless when it comes to any type of advanced aquarium system.The online advice you get is often better, and you'll get people with different opinions, so you'll have some possible options.

Pat24601

Definitely welcome. It's been a few weeks. Let us know how it's going when you get a chance.