Hello from New York

Shepster

Mornin' all,

Thank you for finding a quiet room for a New Yorkee Newbie who dreamed her whole life about having a piece of reef at home, taking care of it and seeing it bloom and live. Now I have means to do it but a little idea where to start. So I am here, among you and I am going to take all the ideas and knowledge I can find and make my dream come true. But I have to feel I am ready first as I want to do it good :)

Have a great day!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

DaveK

I've posted this before, but not for awhile. It is the best advice I can give anyone that is just starting out, and hasn't rushed out and bought something.

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish: