Hello from New Jersey, USA

kweckstrom

Hello, All. I'm a long-time lurker, I mostly read the posts on MI and how to rid yourself of it. The posts here (particularly the ones by Lee) are very knowledgable and I'm glad RS exists :)

I'm currently running my 150 gallon DT fallow (and will likely do so for a minimum of 3 months - simply because I have some travel coming up for work).

As many have done, I ignored the whole quarantine tank protocol when I restarted this hobby recently. While I've been in this hobby off and on since my late teens (i'm 42 now), most of the prior tanks were smaller thanks to my being a former renter. Around 8 years ago my wife and I purchased a home and after some time fixing up some of the other rooms in the house, we decided to make our upstairs living area something of a "Zen" room centered around a 150G XH (48x30x24) tank. My wife and I take the losses we've incurred so far (3 tangs) quite seriously and simply don't want to go through the heartbreak any further. So we put a couple of 20's together to house our remaining marine life while we run the display fallow.

All fish are in one tank so far (13 small guys - a royal gramma, 5 blue/green chromis, a teeny ocellaris clown, a 6 line wrasse, two purple firefish, 2 anthias and a wee little yellow goby), it doesn't seem crowded at all and the biofilter is holding up nicely). I figure it would probably be prudent to go through a hyposalinity course with these guys. I haven't started yet, i'm still researching what the proper/right thing to do is at this point.

The second will be for housing some new Tangs I have ordered that will go through an extended quarantine and possible hyposalinity treatment if it's warranted.

Thus far, All fish are doing well and do not appear to have ich at all.... but.... I know it's there. I lost 3 tangs to those little buggers.

So that's it! That's my story. I've been through the hell of MI and wish to rid our home of it, and that's why I'm here. The mistakes in this hobby have taught me patience, and I'm going to research my dilemma until I'm blue in the face with the goal of ridding myself of MI.

Thanks to everyone who I know will help me along the way :) If you'd like to see how I might be screwing up my tanks this week, I've been blogging about it at Karl and Michele's Reefblog.

-k

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Cedar Knolls here. Welcome to RS!

Seems like us Jersey folk are growing in numbers here. Their goes the neighborhood....:rocket: