Hello from NC

Magick

Hi!!! I'm a newbie from Apex, NC. I've been researching reef tanks for about a year now, and been facinated with them for MUCH longer!!! I don't yet have my set up... I'm trying to decide between a 24g Nano Cube and possibly a used larger set up. Any advice is always welcome... Are there many Reef Keepers in the Raleigh, NC area?

Tammy
Apex, NC

mps9506

I'm not in raleigh, but down the road in Wilmington.
We are getting quite a few people for your area in here though.
Glad to have you on board. You have some really good locals on board here.

mps9506

Suprisingly large, well put togther reefin community here. It's slowly becoming an organized movement here also :D
You'll also want to check out NCFrag, RARE (I think that's the name, Raleigh Area Reef something I think...), CCRK (Coastal Carolina Reef Keepers). We all have message boards and email lists on Yahoo groups and do a little posting on RC.
The new "bigger and better" group is supposed to be MASC, Marine Aquarium Soceity of the Carolinas. I haven't been very involoved in any of the groups lately since I opened up a store about a year ago.
Pretty much all the folks I've had the pleasure of meeting in person from these groups have been extremely good people willing to help out with just about anything. Really good to get involved, get lots of frags that way too :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome! :bigbounce

For your first tank, I think something around the 50-75G range is better. Just a round number there… remember, a larger tank will dilute “mistakes” and a smaller tank will concentrate them. :)

Travis

ScottT1980

Magick, where in Apex? I am off Apex BBQ Rd., in the Scott's Mill neighborhood (I believe it would be south of downtown).

I am just setting up a new tank, will have fish and frags in the near future (fingers crossed)

Take er easy
Scott T.

Welcome

Hope you find reefsanctuary as useful as we all have!! Also i feel left out! Everyone is from out east and im from lonely Indiana : ( But I agree with Travis i always recommend to people who come into my store wait until you have enough money and room to setup an average size tank! (55-75g) So that way your foul ups (we all have em) dont act so drastically on a fragile reef! But use what you want too! :) Also really research what corals you want and also invertebrates(clean up crew) and make sure not to penny pinch in that area b/c they really help keeping the waste down!! Its always nice to see a new comer who likes to be patient in this hobby!!
Good luck
Shawn

mattie

RS Sponsor
I am just down the road in Cary
size is not too important if you have been thinking about the tank for a while what you want to put in it should tell you if you need to go bigger.
my advice is always get a book or 2 before you buy the tank. so you can have some good background knowledge on the things that you think you want in the tank and what kind of requirments it may need.....water flow...water quality...lighting....calcium and so on...
if you have detailed questions you should post em.... thats why the site is here...I think

Magick

WoW... Everyone is so friendly here!!!

I am impressed!!! I've been posting on forums (reptiles mostly) for awhile now, and never had such a warm welcome!!! Scott & Mattie, I'm just off Ten-Ten Rd & Holly Springs Rd. I'm ordering the following books: Natural Reef Aquariums by John H. Tullock & The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I've kept FW on & off since I was a kid. My obsession really started when I lived in Hawaii and was diving 2-3 times a week. Although I'm not too far from the beach, I was spoiled diving in Hawaii and want to have my own piece of the ocean at home. I currently have a 30g Oceanic cube set up with 2 fancy goldfish, which I've considered switching to a reef. There are so many options...

I think what I want on my reef is fairly realistic: 1 pr Percs (false or true), a Pearly Jawfish, a cleaner crew, brittle star, colt, zoos, misc corals, and (possibly my "dream team" which I may wait years for) a clam & a green mandrian.

I love the design of the 24 g Nano cube, everything included, but my husband thinks I should go much bigger, since he feels I'll want to upgrade eventually anyway.

Thanz for the warm welcome!!!

Tammy

mattie

RS Sponsor
ALOHA!!!!...... yea this is a friendly site compared to most
most people feel it's always best or easier to get a bigger tank. but the nano cube is big enough but, do not buy it yet.
the books you choose will be great and will answer or prevent most of the problems that will come up and will help you decided if the nano cube is right for what you want
you'll need to break down misc corals.... so everyone will know what you mean
a pair of clowns is always great and easy
colt and zoo's are great soft corals which are not as light, water flow or calcium hungry as most stony/hard corals
as for the jawfish, clam and mandarin i would look deeply into these before purchasing, all are beautiful but can be difficult for completely different reasons
i am off of walnut near the cary towne center