Hello Everyone! New to Reef World - RSM 130 Owner

Tautog77

I've wanted to get a saltwater reef tank for some time now. Basically, I spent the past few months reading various books, articles and checking out web forums such as RS in order to make some informed decisions. First thing I learned was to take things slowly and be patient. I think I did just that and it was absolutely the right decision for me. I got myself a notebook and took notes from all the various articles, websites and books. There is so much information and different opinions, but I got the idea of what having a reef tank would be like for the most part. While I was gathering info, I determined that I wanted to start off with an RSM 130 or 130D. I was going to purchase a new unit but in the meantime I was looking on Craigslist just in case I saw something that I liked of the used variety. Long story short, I found exactly what I was looking for and went to see the tank the very next day. The tank is couple of years old but looks like new. The seller was really cool and things went very well. The unit is an RSM 130 with a Tunze 9002 PS with upgraded Intank Cup and Intank media basket and two Maxijet 1200's. The system has also been customized with an LED system by WingoLED. When I went to see the tank, it was very well maintained and the occupants were all thriving. So, I got exactly what I was looking for. The seller included about $500 worth of supplies, food, media....you name it. In the tank, (which was running for 6 months as is) there is about 50 lbs. of live rock, a few corals, mated pair of clowns, a Peppermint Shrimp, a mated pair of harlequin shrimp, some snails and some hermit crabs. For me, a great place to start. I continued to read up on moving an established tank. I was nervous and excited about the whole ordeal, but I had a good game plan. The location was about a 40 minute move from my house. The move went well and within a total of about 3 1/2 hrs., everyone was back in the tank. I used about 80% of the existing water and added 20% of some new saltwater to set up after the move. The water clarity was excellent and the tank looked as if it had been transported by Spock. It's been a week. So far, so good. I wanted to join this community to continue to learn and share my experience with other RSM owners. I'm a novice at this but determined to take this seriously. I know I'll have a ton of questions as my head is spinning from all the information I have went over the past few months. Right now, I'm just testing the water daily (pH, salinity, etc.) and making sure it is good to go and enjoying watching the new tank. I appreciate any advice or guidance anyone wants to give and again, hello to everyone in this forum.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we love pics :dance:

Tautog77

Thanks guys. I uploaded an album of the tank to my profile. I guess I need a few more posts to include some pics on a new thread?