Having DI filter problems!

chris09

:dunno: :dunno: Changed RO into strait DI. Carbon first then cation resin and anion last. Tap water reads 90 ppm. Which is good. But DI water is 159ppm.I'am puzzeled.What would do that?

chipmunkofdoom2

So you removed the RO membrane and just do prefilters to DI resins? Why?

Prefilters and the resin can't do all the work. The RO membrane is supposed to handle all but a few PPM of dissolved solids, then DI is supposed to remove what the RO couldn't.

BobBursek

Chipmonk,
it is obvious you never heard of a anion cation DI system, it is more efficient then most RO/DI units.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Is that system sufficient for reef or just goof enough for drinking water?

I have never seen it offered as an alternative to an RODI water for a reef.

chipmunkofdoom2

Chipmonk,
it is obvious you never heard of a anion cation DI system, it is more efficient then most RO/DI units.

Silly me, don't know how I could have missed that... I mean, everyone in the aquarium hobby uses cation/anion DI systems for their water purification needs. I guess I'll go crawl under a rock until I am as smart as you.

By the way, it is obviously my forum name is spelled "chipmunk", since it says it right next to every one of the posts I've made.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Lol chipmunk

This is the first time I have ever taken notice to this system, not to say I just didn't over look or pass it of as another piece of just marketed to get our money.

BobBursek

Are your two tank separate bed cation anion tanks configured correctly?
Why? – Depending on your particular water chemistry, you may get longer runs and fewer tank exchanges if you have an anion tank that is larger than the cation tank or vice versa. Equally sized cation and anion tanks will not exhaust simultaneously in many cases. Consequently, one of the tanks may be taken off line prior to exhaustion and not used to its fullest capacity. Supply your vendor with a full cation/anion balance to determine the best configuration for your application.

tektite

I'm curious how this works out for you when you get it working. If it were me I'd have a sediment filter or two before the DI as well as the carbon. I looked into doing only DI filtering, but for me it is far cheaper to use my RO/DI with its wasted water than have to replace/recharge the DI resin so frequently when using it alone.

lcstorc

Chipmonk,
Well, I for one have never heard of it so I guess I deserve :dunce: .
I would guestimate 90% of the people in the hobby would be in the same situation.

chris09

I'am using Intellitec digital water purity tester. Getting two different readings from two of the same testers. What is a good brand to buy and trust?

chris09

I don't know how it is going to work because I have yet to have an accurate reading from two of the same tds. Can you recommend one that you trust? My problem is water waste with RO/DI system. Water / waste is becomming costly.

tektite

I have two of these TDS meters, both read very close to each other at high TDS and the same reading at lower TDS.

I am curious how using DI only will be cost effective for you? I've looked into it but its still far cheaper to use an RO unit before DI than just DI. Using some rough math, it is 8 times more expensive for me to use just a DI system vs RO/DI. That's assuming I buy BRS's bulk DI resin and not recharge the resin, though recharging that much resin could also get expensive with the cost of muratic acid and lye factored in.

If you've found a better way/have more info though I'd love to hear about it.

chris09

Thank you for turning me on to BRS's web site. I bought a new 5 stage RO/DI and dual inline tds meter. Works great. I have quit on DI only for now. Reisin was shot in less than 30 gals. I don't want to get into keeping acid/lye around right now. Going to purchase second membrane soon from BRS. Claims to use half the water. If anyone uses such a system please let me know if it does what it claims.